Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: co-sleeping question

Default co-sleeping question

My son has been sick the last couple days. When he is sick, he wants to be up in the middle of the night for a couple hours every time he wakes up. It is exhausting because I have to work the next day. Last night I tried to rock him back to sleep and putting him in his bed and let him fall asleep (he usually does really well on his own doing this, maybe a short 1 minute of light crying) but he kept screaming. The only thing that seemed to work was nursing him (the pacifier nursing), but I didn't want to stay up and nurse him all night so I took him to bed with me, which has been a no no. Last night was probably one of the best nights sleep I have had in 9 months. He woke up SEVERAL times to nurse, but it was easy to just start nursing him and fall back asleep. It really makes me feel like I want to keep up with the co-sleeping since he still doesn't sleep through the night and I am exhausted. DH says it is up to me, but we are both worried about the transition back to his bed when he gets older. How hard is that, and when and how do you do it. I know co-sleeping is something many people here recommend, but I need to know that I can eventually get my bed back.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: co-sleeping question

Our LO goes back and forth between sleeping in his bed (which is in our room) and sleeping with us, depending on how both of us our feeling. My general philosophy is that I am trying to get him to sleep in his bed, but how much of his time he spends in his bed depends upon how he is sleeping. Right now he too is sick (and teething) so he spent the night once I got to bed in with us. (He still didn't sleep well, but it was better than it would have been in his bed.) Once he is feeling better, I will work him back to his bed. Babies are constantly changing. What you do tonight does not determine what you will do forever.

I do have a goal of having him sleep in his bed by Christmas because we will be staying with my ILs and instead of the king sized bed we have at home we will be in a double, which is a tight enough squeeze for just DH and me.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

i have not tried to get LO back into her bed yet full time. but she's there for naps and the first half of the night. i just do whatever gets us the most sleep, and right now that's kind of mixed sleeping arrangements for her.

If anything you could try it temporarily for a few weeks and see how you like it. Maybe catch up on your sleep If DH is on board, why not? sleep blessed sleep! just because you co-sleeping out now it doesnt mean you'll never get your bed back. also you could try half and half like we do. LO is in her crib until I go to bed for the night most of the time. That way I don't have to get up in the middle of the night. good luck!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

When we were transitioning my son to the crib we spent a few weeks doing a combination of crib and co-sleeping, too. We would put the baby to bed in his crib then when he woke up for his first feeding I would take him into bed for the rest of the night. This way my husband and I got our bed alone for a while every evening but I only had to get up once and still got a pretty good night sleep before work.

I have to admit, though, that the wheels started to come off a couple of months later when my son decided to stop sleeping for more than a couple of hours at a time and wouldn't be nurse back to sleep in the rocking chair or bed, but that is another thread
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

DD1 was in bed with us for 3 years. She is 5 now. One thing that helped us and maybe could of done it six months earlier had I thought of it, is we got her a small bed from Ikea that was in our room. It made her transition easier for her. She now sleeps in her own room though. I think I could of done the bed in our room about 6 months earlier had I thought of it though. Any way, as attached to sleeping with us as she was, she likes to sleep completely by herself now. We now live with my parents, and I have a lot of little sisters. They often ask her to sleep with them over night (they are not much older then her, the youngest is only 2 years older then her). any way.....she always comes back down here to her own bedroom after they go to sleep. The other night on halloween, the older girls were scared cause of it being halloween so asked if she wanted to sleep with them she said yes. So I waited and waited for her to come down to bed, and she didn't come. My husband finally looked at me and said she must of decided to spend the night in one of the girls rooms with them. We got ready for bed and went to bed, about that time she came tippy toeing back to our apartment (in my parents basement), and came and said mom, I'm going to bed now. I asked her why she came down so late, I thought she would sleep with the girls, and she said.......no they wanted me to cause they were scared of halloween, but I like sleeping by myself, so I said I would sleep with them so they wouldn't be scared, but I just waited till they went to sleep then I quietly left and came down here cause I want to sleep in my own bed. lol Alright! lol haha From a girl we could barely get out of our bed before! lol

It will happen, I wouldn't worry about it! lol

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Our son has his own crib in his own room, but he sleeps with us every night for at least some of the night. When he isn't feeling well he will be in with us from about midnight until 6am. On a night where he is feeling well he sleeps most of the night in his own room and only comes to us about 2-3 times for about 20-45 minutes each time. I think its nice to be able to co-sleep when he needs it, but I also like that he is used to his own bed, too.

Hello:

Sleep is really important fom mom. My baby starts the night in her crib in her room, but usually ends the night with us. When I want to "sleep in" I put some hard toy in bed. It entertains my baby for a little bit. I also put her in her crib for some of her naps so that she gets used to her room. Do what works for you. Your baby will learn to sleep in his room but if he is sick and miserable, it is understandable that he wants mom and it is nice to cuddle with your little one. Remember, he will never be this size again ...

L
    First time mom to Little Luisa.

Well after that first night, he wasn't having it. He wanted his own bed. I guess he just wants to be with me when he is sick. It appears that either his being sick or his age, or both, have started him being super clingy. He gives DH a hard time when he is taking care of him and DS knows I am home. He won't stop crying and trying to get where I am at until I come into the room and hold him. Then I can put him down and sit in the room with him coming over to me only occasionally, but if I leave the room, the screaming begins again. So far he hasn't dolne this when I leave him at daycare thank goodness.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11