Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD not able to nurse anymore.

Default DD not able to nurse anymore.

I exclusively breastfed my daughter to 10 months with a minimal goal of 18 months. Two weeks ago she was hospitalized for five days for severe failure to thrive. The first thing the doctors did was tell me I could no longer breastfeed. This has been devastating to me. She always had enough wet diapers, enough poopy diapers, etc. They did find in the hospital that she wouldn't even gain weight on formula until they concentrated it. So, she is on concentrated formula.

I fought the doctors on breastfeeding (but realize my daughter obviously needed to grow) and we talked about me nursing her 3-5 minutes per day. She is now not latching on (sometimes I can get her to latch when she first wakes and she will nurse for a couple of minutes).

My question: I haven't been pumping. I am starting to now and not even getting an ounce when I try. I was debating if I should pump (going through depression and hormone crashes from such abrupt weaning and hospital stress). I now want to pump but do not have a lot of time. I have four kids and my oldest is five- and I homeschool.

So... since I typically only have time to pump in the evenings what is the best way to do it? Should I try to take fenegreek to get my milk supply back up? Will that work with pumping? Ideas? Suggestions?

I pumped for my premature son who never would latch on for 11 months but I pumped every 3 hours even through the night. I don't have time for that now so I am not sure how to try to get my daughter as much milk as possible with as little pumping as possible. My goal is to pump in the mornings as well but so far I haven't been able to work it in. Most mornings I don't even have time to brush my teeth with all my little ones

I would love some ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

Default Re: DD not able to nurse anymore.

How devistating. I'm so sorry. I also would insist on some breastmilk, even if they put it in a bottle with fortifier.

I would try pumping and see what your output is before trying Fenugreek. Especially if you don't think you will have time to pump regularly. You don't want to have your supply on overload and not have time to pump.

Out of curiosity. Do they know what's causing the FTT? I would want to know a cause and possibly try to get a second opinion. Is she at a Children's hospital? I am so sorry. I hope she gets better quickly.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Yeah, I would wonder if she isn't absorbing nutrients. Did they test her for any allergies, Celiac, etc?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Mama, you have been having such a rough time. I am sure the abrupt weaning is just making things harder on you. Obviously you are pressed for time, so it may be very difficult for you to do a lot of pumping. However, I don't know that there's a way to get a lot of milk without investing significant time at the pump. Fenugreek may help, but it's not a substitute for frequent and thorough milk removal via pump or via nursing baby. I think that, in your shoes, I would just slip in pumping sessions whenever possible, without much regard for trying to maintain a schedule. Because it sounds like your workload is not going to be compatible with keeping a tight schedule!

Is there any way you can involve your older kids in the pumping process? Have the 5 year-old plug the pump in. Have the little ones bring you the pump parts and bottles. And then maybe have everyone sit down and listen to a story while you pump. Maybe that would buy you the time you need?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm in a similar boat. I have 4 kids. My youngest is physically unable to nurse. I homeschool. I also have horses and a job.

How I work in pumping time -- becaus you can't really build a supply withou putting in a lot of time at the pump (EPing moms need to spend 120 minutes in 24 hours pumping) --

I have the pump in the family room. I pump while the kids are doing their work.
    I pump first thing in the morning. I get up before everyone else so I can pump; this one takes me an hour because I'm really full after going from midnight on.
    I pump in the car, either while driving home from the barn or swim team, or while waiting for my littlest ones to wake from sleeping in the car.
    Hands free bra.
    I schedule myself to pump. I know at X time, I need to pump, and I work everything else around it.
    My kids are free range while I pump.
    My kids help me by bringing the pump from the bedroom to the family room. One carries the pump and one carries my pumping bra.

You need a hospital grade pump if you don't have one.

It is a challenge to pump enough when you have a full schedule.

The other thing .... When I was getting started, when I had to pump 8-12 times a day, I did nothing else. Homeschool was very basic. We didn't do much else. Housework was last on the list (honestly, it still is). We ate takeout and easy to fix meals. It had to dominate everything to make it work, but I have no regrets, as it kept my guy super healthy.

EPing is a difficult road to take.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; November 12th, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Wow, that is so hard. I can't even imagine how difficult this must be for you.

My suggestion would be to focus on nursing your baby at the breast as much as possible instead of pumping, if she'll go along with it. If you know she's not able to absorb the nutrients well and most of her nutrition has to come from the concentrated formula, then the closeness and physical contact of nursing may be as important or more important than the milk itself. That's just my personal opinion though; you need to do what you feel is right for you and your baby.

Have they been able to tell you anything about what might be causing this?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--