Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restraining the baby & shallow latch?

Default Re: Restraining the baby & shallow latch

i purchased a few necklaces from target.the gaudier and more colorful the more he likes it. i also sing to him the whole time prior to let down and that seemed to cut out some of his pinching and squirming.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

I have tried the sling once or twice with him, but he really, really hates it. And I also think he can sense my discomfort, too, so being carried doesn't soothe him. I really wish it did.

What's confusing is that he will chew and drag the nipple out of hus mouth, then fuss and root angrily... like somebody else pulled him off, lol. And since my nipples feel like someone is rubbing sandpaper on them even when he is not nursing, that sucks big time. I also have no idea if this is related to flow speed or let-down issues, because I feel absolutely nothing in my breasts (besides pain/discomfort) while he nurses.

One of my nipples felt just like that and it was hell, I dreaded every nursing session. And it was always super-sensitive at all times.

It took a few days of putting on a cream my doc prescribed and it was gone, and the beginning of great time spent nursing. Even if you don't think it's thrush, it's worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shortthumbs View Post
    I have tried the sling once or twice with him, but he really, really hates it. And I also think he can sense my discomfort, too, so being carried doesn't soothe him. I really wish it did.

What's confusing is that he will chew and drag the nipple out of hus mouth, then fuss and root angrily... like somebody else pulled him off, lol. And since my nipples feel like someone is rubbing sandpaper on them even when he is not nursing, that sucks big time. I also have no idea if this is related to flow speed or let-down issues, because I feel absolutely nothing in my breasts (besides pain/discomfort) while he nurses.
    This sounds a lot like how I felt when Joe and I had thrush. I know we mentioned this before, and maybe you've ruled it out, but FYI it can cause (a) sore nipples; and (b) uncomfortable babies. I think if your nipples were less sore, this behavior would bother you less, but also, it's possible that your baby has a sore throat from thrush that could be bugging him a bit and making it worse?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have tried the Lotrimin/hydrocortisone treatment for a few weeks with no real change. I was also taking grapefruit seed extract and using coconut oil on my nipples between the lotrimin treatments. I wish I could say it helped but... it didn't. I am not averse to treating more thoroughly for thrush but for some reason nobody I talk to about it wants to prescribe me anything. They basically say, no spots in his mouth, no thrush. So... that's sort of frustrating. He is very, very gassy and I don't know if that is related at all.

Well, thrush can be persistent and difficult to treat. And doctors often won't prescribe anything if they don't see spots in the baby's mouth, even though some babies don't get those. Or it could be another type of infection, like a bacterial infection? Or like you say, it could just be the latch.

If it were me, I'd be doing a regimen of probiotics for me and baby, because it's harmless and the probiotics are good for any kind of infection (especially thrush, but the "good bacteria" will also compete with any "bad" bacteria).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

A baby chiropractor SAVED our nursing relationship!! We are just finishing up 3 months of cranio/sacral therapy because of chronic latch issues. At almost 4 months, I can nurse with little to no pain. My babe was born with the assistance of a vaccuum and it caused some problems with his occipital bone that directly affected his ability to open his mouth wide and latch deeply. I couldn' imagine how a chiropractor could work on a baby (all I could think of was my body being cracked when I go and how could they do that to a baby?!) but it's super gentle and basically just looks like they're poking them or giving light massage. My guy usually smiles through any adjustments, and the cranio/sacral therapy is done while nursing.
    If you decide to do it, find someone who does pediatric chiropractic and is well-versed in cranio/sacral. The first guy I went to (when LO was 6 weeks) basically made me feel like I was a baby for complaining about pain and that I needed to "tough it out". Nursing shouldn't make you cry 6 weeks out, dude!!
    Goodluck!!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Well, thrush can be persistent and difficult to treat. And doctors often won't prescribe anything if they don't see spots in the baby's mouth, even though some babies don't get those. Or it could be another type of infection, like a bacterial infection? Or like you say, it could just be the latch.

If it were me, I'd be doing a regimen of probiotics for me and baby, because it's harmless and the probiotics are good for any kind of infection (especially thrush, but the "good bacteria" will also compete with any "bad" bacteria).
    Yep, I did that too. A full month of probiotics after my last course of antibiotics. I guess I could try the lotrimin again, see what happens.

I guess my secondary question is, apart from just holding him still as he struggles to nurse, how else can I fix a shallow latch like this?

I assume you've tried waiting for a wide open mouth, making a "boob sandwich" and all of those techniques? This is the sort of thing that really benefits from hands-on help. For some babies, though, you really just have to wait until their mouths are a little bigger and they have more head control, etc.

You can call me JoMo!