Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restraining the baby & shallow latch?

Default Restraining the baby & shallow latch?

So, nursing is still fairly painful most of the time. Bubs latches on, then rears his head back with my poor nip clamped in his little piranha mouth, while his hand pinches my breast and pulls it sideways. As you can imagine, it doesn't feel so great. So I've taken to tucking his arm behind his back and holding his head still with my hand just to make it through the first ten minutes. Honestly I feel closer to him when I give him a bottle, because then I'm not on edge and wincing the whole time. He'll be 4 months tomorrow and if I can make it to 6 I'll be ecstatic. But my question is, is it ok to restrain him like this? If I don't, he'll fuss and arch and pass gas the whole way through.

Oh, and someone suggested a baby chiropractor... Has anyone ever heard of this?? I can't quite imagine.

Default Re: Restraining the baby & shallow latch

My 4 months old boy does the same!
    Fortunatly my nipples have lost most of the over-sensitivity they had at first so it doesn't really hurt when he pulls anymore. (Are you sure you don't have a small case of thrush or anything? I did have a bit of it weeks ago and breastfeeding was so painful, so be sure it isn't that.)
    What I found though, is that baby is much calmer when I feed him lying down on a bed or couch. His head rests on the matress and I gently hold his free hand so he's not man-handling my breasts when he starts to get bored.

I hope other people have tricks too.

I'm sorry that you're still having pain! I agree with the suggestion about thrush or other issues. Congratulations on making it this far--you are doing AWESOME!

My DS did the same thing at that age (pulling back, side to side, and pinching), and the lactation consultants I talked to said it was partially to stimulate let-down. So, I did some nipple stimulation before I put DS to the breast--just some gentle rolling and tugging. It was a lot less painful when I did it instead of DS! That helped quite a bit, as did feeding him lying down. I also used to hold his hand so he couldn't pinch. I'd play with his fingers, and eventually I got a nursing necklace that he could play with.

OH!!! Where did you get that nursing necklace?! I remember seeing a collection even before I was pregnant nd now that I'd like one, I can't find them anymore.

Do you have a sling? My baby went through a phase at about that age where he would scream, squirm, knead, and pull if I wasn't walking around while nursing him. A ring sling worked best around the house for me, but sometimes I needed to nurse him in my arms while walking because he was too fussy to get into a sling.

Nursing necklaces worked fairly well for us too. I've always made my own, but you should be able to search on google and find some. I would bet that you could fine some on etsy pretty easily too.

I swaddled Joe for nursing a lot during the phase where he would grab, knead and pinch with his fingers, kick with his legs, and arch his back and swing his head around a lot (he was a wild little nurser! ). I think gentle restraint is fine. However, I second the idea of checking for thrush - especially if your nipples feel like they're "burning" or ever itchy.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shortthumbs View Post
    Oh, and someone suggested a baby chiropractor... Has anyone ever heard of this?? I can't quite imagine.
    I took my son to my chiropractor shortly after birth. It was very gentle (so much so that it almost didnt look like he was doing anything). Im not sure it helped but it sure didnt hurt! My LO was also a "barracuda baby" but luckily my nipples toughened up and it doesnt hurt anymore when he yanks back and continues his shallow latch (after weeks of improvement). Hope you find relief soon!

Nursing necklace worked for the first 10 mins with my DS, but afterwards, he gets disinterested and goes back to yanking my boob. Like a lot of the mamas here, my nips have desensitized so when he pulls on em, I don't feel it as badly. His pinching still hurts though. I put his favourite blanky around his arm and half the time he'll end up yanking, pinching and pulling at the blanket. The other half of the time, I kind of put the two ends of the blanket behind his back to gently hold his hands down so he can't reach my breast (he hasn't learned to maneuver out of the blanky yet, hehe). Sometimes, I also wrap his little hand in the blanky. That helps too.

I used the baby chiropractor as a last resort for my son's gas and spit up issues. The initial set of treatments finished up when he was around 5 months old, so I cannot say for certain that they helped, as he may have just finally outgrown it, but he seemed happy to go and his tummy was happier, too. Before heading the chiropractor we reduced my oversupply, gave him baby probiotics and used daily belly massages with little success.

Regarding the twisting/squirming baby, I had to use the cross-cradle hold for a very long time with my son because otherwise he would try to rip my nipple off. It wasn't as though I was holding his head in place, but he seemed more relaxed in the more rigid position.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilycurly View Post
    OH!!! Where did you get that nursing necklace?! I remember seeing a collection even before I was pregnant nd now that I'd like one, I can't find them anymore.
    I got a couple off of Etsy. I can't recall the names of the shops right now, but if you do a search for "nursing necklace", you'll come up with quite a few hits. I also got a Teething Bling necklace off Amazon.com. It's safe for DS to chew on because it's made of the same material used for teething toys, and oddly, it's the one I get the most compliments on.