Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Persistent Thrush since 2 weeks old!

Default Re: Persistent Thrush since 2 weeks old!

Could vaspospasms cause burning and painful letdown? I notice the Diflucan eases the pain of my letdowns so that makes me think its still thrush. The tip of my nipple does blanche sometimes. I threw in the towel treating it for a week and I definitely noticed an increase in pain - stopped using the APNO. Yea nursing has never been unbearable just my nipples are REALLY sensitive to touch. I'm sick of being topless every weekend LOL Thanks for all of your replies. I'm sort of having a meltdown today about this and keep thinking about weaning... which I DO NOT WANT to do but when I'm tired and in pain it enters my mind. I don't want to give up

And with this "diet" it's so hard to keep on weight. I'm doing no dairy/carbs/sugars I think its just adding to the stress. That along with work/pumping this is just not how I envisioned us at this point

I don't know about painful letdown, but I think vasospasms can cause burning. I know the symptoms are very similar to those of a yeast infection so it can sometimes be mistakenly diagnosed/treated as that. But I guess Diflucan probably wouldn't help if yeast wasn't the problem...

I plan to make an appt with an IBCLC (hopefully can get in soon) b/c I am super frustrated too! I was feeling better over the weekend (almost normal), then ever since I pumped yesterday morning I've been feeling sore/burning again. I am definitely going to ask about the vasospasms & I'll let you know what they say. Don't give up!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

So today I saw an IBCLC and she is pretty sure that my problem is not yeast. In fact, she told me over the phone (before even seeing me) that "it's not yeast. Yeast is easy to get rid of." We figured out that the cause of my problem is most likely pump shields that are too small & have caused damage to my nipples & areolas, which caused vasospasms & possibly also a bacterial infection. Surprisingly, this is good news as it means I can stop treating for a yeast infection! Lol. I still have some trouble shooting to do to figure out exactly what will fix my problem, but no more boiling & dumping extra milk!

So I thought of you, wyrdgirl, because our experiences were similar, and I wanted to encourage you to see an IBCLC if you haven't already! The LC that I saw said that Dilfucan has anti-inflammatory properties, so it may ease your symptoms even if the problem isn't yeast. Newman's cream has steroids & other stuff in it too, so it could also help w/other issues. I would bet that your problem is also no longer a yeast infection, and probably something that can be treated or fixed
    Last edited by @llli*juliasmomma; November 23rd, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Hello,
    I found this thread while searching for something else, but I'm glad I did. I am so sorry that some of you are going through such a painful nursing experience I went through the exact same problem 9 months ago while nursing my 4th and I thought it would never end. Mine started a couple weeks after he was born and it was a constant pain sometimes burning/itching but when he nursed it was like shards of glass or paper cuts on my nipples and shooting pains into my back and shoulder blades-yikes! Luckily, I found a IBCLC who had just had thrush and knew exactly what it was. It took a little more to convince my OB/GYN who had never heard of this even though it was a very pro breastfeeding clinic. So I started a low dose of diflucan which helped a little-also every dr I spoke with says if you are on diflucan then your LO should be on nystatin or you will continue to pass it back and forth. After I felt a little better with the diflucan my prescription ended and it came back with a vengeance. At that point I started an anti thrush regime that lasted 5 months but eventually I won and I am now still BFing my 9 month old and all of the torture seems like a lifetime ago. So here is what I did. I was on diflucan for the next 2 months the amount prescribed by Jack Newman. I started a yeast free/sugar free/gluten free/dairy free diet. I pretty much only ate meat eggs and veggies for 5 months. I added kefir and straight cranberry juice to my diet. Kefir is like a yogurt drink that is high in probiotics and straight cran although it contains sugar is great for your digestion and urinary tract. I also added Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar which also helps promote good digestion and gets rid of toxins. I mixed it with extra virgin olive oil and put it on all my veggies. I then found a website called beeyoutiful.com which has a pregnancy anti yeast pack and started taking those pills along with grapefruit seed extract and probiotics. I stayed on this exact routine for the next 5 months and felt like you are describing for a really long time. Even after 2 months on diflucan I was nervous to get off of it because I still felt a little stingy. My LC even said she'd never heard of it taking so long to get rid of Finally in the 4th month I started feeling better and by month 5 I felt great and I had lost all my baby weight and then some I hope this information helps. I know what a struggle this is especially when BFing should be such a pleasant and sweet experience. Please feel free to ask any and all questions. I hope you are all feeling better soon. BTW Also my letdown was quite painful as well and it is now back to normal which is still a strong sensation
    Last edited by @llli*4littlemen; November 30th, 2011 at 12:54 PM.