Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Thrush since 2 weeks old!

Default Persistent Thrush since 2 weeks old!

When my LO was 2 weeks I was put on Baclofen and switched to Augmentin. If I knew the hell this would cause I would've never taken it! Anyways we are at 14 weeks and I'm still battling thrush. Even my Dr doesn't know what to do at this point, in the beginning the ped was willing to threat my daughter with Nystatin but she's never showed signs. Now they will no longer treat her. I've tried GSE/vinegar rinse on my nipples, APNO, along with massive doses of Diflucan (400 loading doses, 200 mg a day for 4 weeks). The pain subsides (burning nipples, shooting pains through breast) but never completely goes away. I tried gentian violet for 3 days as well before having to go back to work. I finally figured its not going to go away and I have to endure this our whole breastfeeding relationship
    I'm taking good probiotics along with Candex. I changed my diet to gluten free/dairy and sugar free.

I've reached out to several LCs and emailed Jack Newman who says following his protocol will get rid of it . I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do. I went back and I'm on Diflucan again and getting another script for the APNO. I'm just afraid its never going to go away until we wean. Any thoughts or advice?

Default Re: Persistent Thrush since 2 weeks old!

Sorry momma that stinks! It also sounds. Very similar to what I went through and you probably dont want to hear this but, we never did figure out what the problem was. I would think at this point with everything you've treated with and if your baby isn't showing symptoms it's probably something else. IMO. Are your nipples cracked or anything? Maybe a visit to a dermatologist might be in order. Sorry this isn't more help, I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. :Hugs
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

I thought of this when you posted your story. Maybe this will help?? Just follow the link to the post, and you will see another link you will need to click. Hope you get better soon.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ush&highlight=

Thank you. I wish there was a swab test for this.. My nipples are pink and very tender but nursing is not THAT uncomfortable. Letdown is pretty intense feeling and I get the lightening bolts of pain throughout the day. I've contacted so many "experts" and I'm at a loss. Maybe a dermatologist can help next. The reason I believe its thrush is because I had cracked nipples and was put on the antibiotic..after that is when all of my symptoms started

And kudos to you for lasting 13 mos with this. I figured I might be in the same boat until weaning

OH MY GOD!!! You are amazing! You made it this long with thrush like that... That is great. Good for you, seriously. I have had thrush for 3 weeks + and feel your pain. All the previous threads are good and here are my two cents. Go to your dermatologist, maybe it is not thrush, but if it is, what is helping for me is to sunbathe my nipples and try to be topless and exposed to light as much as you can (it might drive your husband crazy, in a good or in a bad way. Mine finally understood.). I have also been applying the cream I was prescribed (ketoconazole 2%, twice a day) and opening probiotics pills and putting the powder directly on my nipples (as well as injesting them and giving some to Lulu). Your baby also has to be treated. Mine wasn't for the first 2 weeks, but now she is geting nystatin and taking a little bit of probiotics, and I feel better. For moisturizer I use virgin organic coconut oil, which I read has antifungal properties...

Hope this helps and I hope that you get well soon...

Luisa
    First time mom to Little Luisa.

Thanks. That's my major hurdle is they will not treat her without signs

That is crazy... Try putting the probiotics inside her mouth. After you go to the dermatologist, you can go from there. Maybe the derm can prescribe something for your baby if it is thrush. If not, you can take that verification to the ped and he/she can prescribe it. If not, get another ped. These doctors never listen to the patient. Seriously. What is up with them.

I wish you the best and you have our support.
    First time mom to Little Luisa.

I don't have much to offer for advice, but am going through much the same thing and also pretty frustrated...mine started at around 7-8 wks and LO is now 4mos old. She has been treated w/Nystatin 3 times but has never shown any symptoms either, other than a whitish coating on her tongue here & there. Nursing is not really painful for me either, but my nips are still pink/red (white tips sometimes) and I get off and on burning/itching & shooting pains. I started w/Newman's cream (been on that for at least 10 weeks now) and was on Diflucan for 4 wks and it helped some but I still have some symptoms off & on. I tried taking probiotics but they seem to give LO gas, which is no fun for any of us I had antibiotics during labor for GBS which I know made me susceptible to yeast infections, but I'm starting to wonder if that's really what I have. Partly b/c LO has never had it in her mouth, also b/c the Diflucan didn't get rid of it (according to my midwife, 4 wks always gets rid of it).

Other things I've considered, maybe this will be helpful for you too...vasospasms - if you ever notice white tips or a bluish/purple color on your nipples, it could be vasospasms. Also, if you pump, maybe your shields are the wrong size? My symptoms started around the same time that I started pumping more, so I wonder if that might be part of the problem. I know that yeast is kind of over-diagnosed, and the symptoms of a yeast infection are also the symptoms of a lot of other things, and in persistent cases (from what I've read), a lot of times it turns out that something else is actually the problem. Especially after all you've tried to get rid of it!

All that to say that I feel your pain (literally)...we've spent a lot of $$ trying to get rid of a yeast infection, and it's tolerable right now, but not totally gone. Also super frustrating to not be able to store milk...I've had to dump so much in the last few months & I hate it!

Good luck to you...you're not alone!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

I would consider vasospasms.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!