Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't take a botte!

Default Baby won't take a botte!

So Tuesday night was my first back to work. I left enough pumped milk(which turned out to be more than enough) made the bottles and left all 3 kids with my dh who is a sahd. Jack who is 11 weeks took his first bottle ok but of course my dh had trouble getting him to sleep b/c he's used to nursing to sleep. Then when he woke up for his second feeding of the night dh attempted to give him his 2nd bottle and Jack proceeded to flip out. DH tried everything, different bottle different nipple cup feeding nothing worked. Poor baby just had to cry himself back to sleep because he was just beside himself. DH said when Jack woke back up around 6am DH walked toward him with the bottle and Jack flipped at just the site of it. When I got home Jack nursed no problem then took a nice long nap with me. Then that evening I attempted to give him a bottle. He didn't freak at the site of it and let me put the nipple in his mouth. He kind of plays with the nipple in his mouth but doesn't really suck. The awesome thing is my DH is so supportive of me breastfeeding. I was of course questioning my choice to bf (exhausted and worried about my baby being hungry). My DH was like of course you are doing what is best for Jack and this will all work out. He hasn't had any of the problems my ff babies had. Anyway has anyone had a baby who was refusing to take a bottle? What did you do? Thanks for reading my novel. I just needed to vent and hopefully someone has been where I am who can help.. THanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Default Re: Baby won't take a botte!

My third did that, and it was persistence that won. And we tried other bottles too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Everyone keeps saying he'll get it. But I guess because it is happening NOW I want the problem solved. Of course I just need to be patient and he'll get it. We have no choice but for me to work at this time so little man will have to figure it out or start sleeping through the night until I get home and he can eat as much as he wants. It just makes me sad for my baby and my DH struggling at night. And since I'm a nurse in the newborn nursery it kind of drives me nuts taking care of other peoples babies while mine is at home needing me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Susan,
    When you say persistence how often did you feed him the bottle? Once a day or more often?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11

We didn't feed him. I had to turn the whole mess over to the sitter. And it took a few days. Like he didn't eat while there for several days. But he wouldn't even try if I was in the house, and he flat out refused to try for DH; DH brought him to me at work in Saturdays for a couple weeks. After the sitter got him to take it for her, he was willing to try for DH on the weekend. It was very stressful.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just back to work with my 7 week old at home. He would take a bottle (breastflow) begrudgingly once a day for 2 weeks before I went back to work. First day back he refused the bottle for 6 hours with grandpa & cried almost the whole time. I almost went back home! Dad came home & got him to take a bottle he immediately threw back up then calmed down for the 2nd. After being back for 5 days he's getting more used to the bottle. Will still fuss sometimes before hand. He's not going to starve himself. I've read some won't ever take a bottle & try different bottles, nipples, try feeding from spoons or cups, doesn't always have to be from the bottle. Hope it gets better!

My little one took a bottle for a couple of months and then just decided "No Way". I bet we spent $300 on different kinds of bottles and she flat out refused! She nurses a lot at night to compensate and she ended up okay. She finally took a sippy around a year. It will be okay. I believe it was more stressful on me than her. Hang in there!

He's getting a little better he will almost always begrudgingly take a little and by the end of the night he has taken around 6-8oz. All split up in little feeds. I am gone almost 14 hours since I work 12hour shifts and have to drive about 45 minutes to get there. I think the main thing is that it's at night so my DH isn't getting much sleep and he doesn't do well on little sleep. Luckily Jack is still taking a nice long nap with me during the day and pretty much nurses ALL DAY LONG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11