Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: returning to work. need avice

Default returning to work. need avice

My DS will be 3 months old tomorrow. I am a teacher and will be returning to work 11/28. I was hoping I might be able to get some advice about when I should pump and how much milk I should leave for my DH to give to my little guy. I have never had a huge supply so I am a bit concerned about pumping enough milk for him. Here is my schedule and what I'm thinking of doing.

7:30-8:15-prep time so I can pump

10:15-11:00-prep time (don't know if I should pump since I'll be nursing soon)

11:00-11:30-lunch-DH will bring DS to me to nurse

2:00-2:25-prep time so I will pump

3:30-go home

Thanks for any advice you might have!
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Default Re: returning to work. need avice

I would plan on pumping at 10:15 at first until you know how much you are getting each day. I would probably leave 3 or 4 two ounce bottles for your husband and see how it goes. It's great that you will get to nurse at lunch!

Default Re: returning to work. need avice

I'm a caregiver to a 4 month old little girl and I know her momma pumps twice a day, morning and after lunch. She always pumps both sides at once to save time. Then she brings me the milk the next morning from the day before.

I would suggest trying to pump a couple of time this weekend to see how it goes and to get some milk to leave for Monday. The usual rule of thumb is to leave 1-2 oz per hour that you will be gone.

Info on how much milk to leave:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Good luck, hope everything goes well!

Here is some good info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b...s-pumping.html
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens