Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk starting to smell bad??

Default Milk starting to smell bad??

Hi,

I exclusively breast feed my son when I'm at home and while he's at daycare he gets expressed breast milk. My sitter noticed this week that my some of my milk is starting to smell 'spoiled' and that my son won't drink it. I'm not sure why this is happening since he always gets fresh milk. I pump at work and keep the milk in a refrigerator. I started doing a smell test when I prepare his bottles and this morning one that I pumped yesterday smelled yucky and the one smelled off (not yucky but off).
    Has this happened to anyone?

Sometimes, I have a cappuccino in the morning or a decaf coffee (just started this a week or so a go), the only other changes is, i don't clean my parts after every pumping session (i pump every 3 hours at work). I just rinse them and put them in my cooler in the fridge.

Could any of this be effecting it?? suggestions?

Default Re: Milk starting to smell bad??

Lipase? I wouldn't rinse the parts, just put them in the fridge. They should be fine like that. But I doubt that's the problem. Some women have problems with lipase and have to scald their milk before storing it. That may be your problem.

This sounds like excessive lipase. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.htmlHere is some information on it. I have not had a problem with it, but many of the moms on here have. It is not something you are doing wrong, but it does mean your milk will go bad quickly unless you scald it.

Here is a sticky on scalding.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Lipase

It's an enzyme that all mama milk has, but for some moms, in some situations, it is present in excessive amounts or becomes activated early and makes the milk taste really bad.

Pump, keep in the fridge and start tasting to see when it starts tasting funky. Also check your fridge --some areas are a "hot spot" and might let the enzyme work faster, like if you keep your milk on the door.

If your milk is turning very quickly, like cant feed it the next day, you will have to scald it. See the lipase thread sticky for more info.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Sounds like lipase to me. I just found out this was my problem last week with the wonderful help of these ladies. Read through the scalding section it has awesome info on lipase and scalding your milk. It was definitely a shock and my stash in the freezer was spoiled. I feel your pain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

There is a lot of info in here. Good luck!!

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...t=LIPASE+SCALD
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Can this happen at anytime? LO is 5 months and this just started this week. Thanks for the info, I will check it out! Scalding it doesn't kill any of the nutrients does it?

The scalding does kill some of the nutrients. I would stop rinsing the parts and see if that helps. There could actually be something in the water that isn't sterile........remember water in and of itself is not sterile, especially from the tap, that water may need to be boiled to be "clean". So I would stop rinsing the parts, and see if that helps any.

I'm not trying to demean any one here on this post/forum, but more often then not it's a sterilization problem of the parts, then a actual lipase problem. At least that's what the experts say. Especially since you say it just started. The scalding would help both problems though. BUT, if you can avoid scalding it's better to. So I would experiment with not rinsing the parts first and see if that helps. And since they are sitting there with milk in them, I would buy extra parts, and then sterilize them at least once a week, by buying extras, you don't have to reuse the same ones each time, before being sterilized and you wouldn't have to do it as often. If you know what I am saying. When I pumped I had 7 sets of parts, yes expensive to get that much, but they wear out and you have to buy new any way eventually, so this kept them newer longer, and it was still a LOT cheaper then formula.

ETA: I would use the same parts ALL day, but what I mean is if you have a few sets, you could use the same set for a day or two, then put it back to sterilize over the weekend and use a different set for a day or two, and so on. I would wash it after 24 hours of use, but try to sterilize at least every 48 to 72 hours, maybe? To make sure all is being completely cleaned, and that's not what is causing the problem.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I had it start at 7-8-9 months with my third. I was sterilizing everything (I didn't know you didn't have to, so I was going crazy with it ).

I have also heard but cannot find any reference to it that sometimes it could be related to omega fatty acids you might take.

But there is little research on lipase. I personally suspect that the action of pumping could activate it for some moms.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It seems I've heard that about fatty acids too. My DD1 didn't seem to care what it smelled or tasted like it seemed. lol

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~