Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some advice

Default Need some advice

Okay...so I am a Twilight fan, yes..you read that right. My wonderful husband who is not a fan bought he and I tickets to go see it Friday night. I am so excited BUT here is the issue...... We would be leaving my son with his grandma!! This may seem like a non issue but my son has never ever ever been left with anyone other then my husband, and even then I never pumped a bottle for him, I was only gone an hour at the most and just a few feet away The thought of leaving him from 9:30pm-midnight is kinda stressing me out. So here are my questions:

He normally nurses at 9pm and has a cat nap till 10:30pm then nurses again and sleeps till 3am. I plan on nursing him at 9pm at his grandmas house and laying him to bed. How much milk will I need to leave his grandma for the 10:30pm feeding? Should I pump any extra on top of that for back up? I have tried pumping in the past, in the morning, and have only ever gotten 4oz if I am lucky...and that is total from both! How do I go about pumping enough for my son while I am away?? Also, I had pumped in the early weeks of his life and froze those, I thawed one once and tasted it and was shocked at how disgusting it tasted!! Any advice would be AWESOME.

Thanks in advance

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Need some advice

Are you saying that you have only gotten 4 ounces if you are lucky? 4 ounces is a LOT to get at one time, especially if you are full time nursing, which it sounds like you are. That's a reasonable amount for a mom to pump while she's away from her baby at work.

It sounds like you have a lipase issue as well, my frozen milk has the same issue. When is the movie?

I would probably plan on leaving two 2 ounce bottles with grandma, or one three ounce bottle and a two ounce bottle. You can assume about an ounce per hour, but he may also be freaked out about the bottle. I might also let go of the idea that his schedule is going to mimic what you have at home, and it's ok if it's not the same.

Check out the lipase thread for how to scald your milk before freezing it and start pumping a little bit every day until you have four or five ounces for your movie night.

with pp. When I was working I left 1.5oz for every hour I would be gone. My adult DD and I are going to see it too But shes bringing her 6week old and Im bringing my 9mo to the midnight show. They both love to sleep in their slings and they can BF too if need be. It should be interesting

jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

My adult DD and I are going to see it too But shes bringing her 6week old and Im bringing my 9mo to the midnight show. They both love to sleep in their slings and they can BF too if need be. It should be interesting
    I also considered just having him come with us but I was affraid that the load noise would scare him. I kinda was thinking I could just bring him and once the lights dimmed I could nurse him the length of the movie since I am his paci too. Idk.....idk what to do

I pumped this evening...around 7pm and got almost 1.5 oz. I then took the advice of another mommy on using a bottle warmer to scold the freshly pumped milk (I have a lipase issue) so I took my tiny bit of milk to my friends house who had a warmer and tested out this theory. I got the milk to 160 degrees and then came home and placed it in my freezer. I plan on moving it to the fridge in just a bit to thaw. I am going to try it in the morning to see if the nasty taste is taken care of. If I can't get this lipase issue under control I think my son will attend twilight as well.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Here a lot of the theaters also have baby rooms. They are sound proof, and at the back of the theater, the only problem is they fill up fast with the other babies! lol But, you can watch the movie there and every thing you aren't in the front row, but it's not bad. We usually like being in there, as it's usually only two or three rows so toddlers ccan walk around in there as well as every one else in there has babies and toddlers too and understand. Other then that we go to the drive in. lol

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~