Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Totally confused!

Default Totally confused!

So, each weekday morning I usually pump about 7 ounces. 4 on the right and 3 on the left. My DD is 7 MO and generally eats once around 3AM, then again around 6-7 AM, on one side only. Today, she skipped her 3AM feed, but fed @ 6AM & 7AM on the left. When I pumped at 8:30AM, I got 6oz on the right (which she hadn't touched since 9PM last night) and only 1oz on the left that she'd just fed from twice?!? Does this sound normal? I know it's not normal for ME, but DD usually doesn't STTN, either.....
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Default Re: Totally confused!

*bump*

That seems reasonable--the breast that your LO ate more than usual from produced less and the one that your LO ate less than usual from produced more.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I guess that is what I'm trying to figure out... does my body know how much to produce in total by now? IE: I almost always get 7oz, 4-5oz, then 4oz on my 3 daily pumping sessions, but sometimes it varies as to how much from each side....

They amount of hydration you are also has a effect, so you may of drink more or less on the days you get more or less. Also I found some things I drink like soda can have a big impact on my production, soda can really really give it a huge hit.

That being said the night time nursing session seems to have a huge impact on the rest of the days production, the more you nurse/pump at night the more you get during the day and vise verse the less you pump/nurse at night the less you get during the day. NOT for every single person, but by and large this is true.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

today, LO skipped the 3AM feed again, but ate off the right around 5:00AM, then I fed her a little off the left @ 7AM. At 8:30AM pumping session, right side put out about 5 oz and left gave 4! She only feeds for about 3-5 minutes off one side during the day, but at bedtime, will take both sides and stay on for about 15 minutes total. She was 6#2oz @ birth and lowest birth weight was 5# 8oz. She's now 7.5 months and weighs 16# 14oz. Could she really just be THAT efficient? Is it likely she's just taking the edge off during the day and stockpiling up at bedtime?

Yep, could be that efficient and likes a long, leisurely reconnect at bedtime
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!