Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant feeding!! :/

Cool Constant feeding!! :/

I had my son on the 8th hes very healthy, no issues and we got to go home the next day the thing is though he wants to bf constantly. I barely have time to go pee between feedings. Like he will nurse then 10 min later he is sucking his hands and just searching around like crazy, so i know hes hungry. So i will then put him on the breast again and he will nurse 15 min then fall asleep. I try to keep him awake by stimulating him but nothing is really working. I do breast compressions too and while that gets him eating better he slows done again and falls asleep. Is this normal?? Im getting so worried that hes not getting anything. Shouldn't he be feeding longer? I can only get 15-20 min everytime out of him and he never wants the second breast.

I hope this makes sense, i am getting so discouraged and dont want to pull out the formula

Default Re: Constant feeding!! :/

Congratulations on the new baby!

Everything you describe sounds very normal for a newborn. As long as diaper output is normal (see this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html) then milk input is adequate. Good ouput = good input!

Frequent feeding and falling asleep at the breast, then waking and wanting more, are also all completely normal. These links have some tips on waking a sleepy baby: http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-ba...m#SleepyBabies and http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/a...-a-sleepy-baby

It is possible that your baby wakes soon after nursing not because he's hungry- though he probably is!- but because he misses being in contact with you. Wearing your baby in a sling may allow you to move around the house and even go pee- get used to not going to the bathroom by yourself because that's something you won't do again until your kid is 4 or 5. As my then 3 year-old daughter said when I begged- literally begged!- her for some privacy, "No Mommy, I NEED to watch you."

If you don't want to use formula, don't have it in the house. It is very easy for a frustrated mom to have a moment of weakness and break out the bottles... And that can spell trouble for a nursing relationship, especially in the early days/weeks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with Mommal. Sounds like comfort nursing. Remember that your baby was just tucked away safe and warm inside you forever. It's big, scary, cold world. The only place he wants to be is in your arms. I wish the world didn't condition us to believe that our baby needs to detach immediately upon cutting the cord. It is perfectly normal for a baby to want to suckle all day long. That's how pacifiers became so popular

My advice? Decide that for the next 6-8 weeks you are going to be firmly planted on the couch. Grab the remote, a giant bottle of water and sit. And nurse. And hold your baby. Not only will you establish breastfeeding, but you will heal the way you were meant to heal, you will feel very bonded with your baby and maybe most important you will not be stressing that something is wrong. I know it's hard. I've done it twice. But trust me when I say it's worth it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I peed while nursing more times that I can count. Haha. Sounds normal to me. Get rid of the formula to erase the temptation. He is building your supply right now so may need to nurse all the time. I spent at least a month in our recliner nursing for 30, 45 min, sometimes longer, just to nurse again 20 minutes later. Keep up the good work.

Get a sling as it will make life easier. You can pee while holding a baby, and elastic waist pants make it even easier

This is how it is, though, when you have a new baby. And enjoy it, as when you have a second baby, it's much harder to have the time to curl up on the couch and just nurse.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks so much for the replies!! I am so happy to hear that everything is how its supposed to be. His diaper output it great and he is meeting all his output goals with my first nursing was a nightmare he just didnt want to do it. I am so happy this guy likes it. I am lucky i have my dh home for 2 weeks though so i have time with the baby and he can take care of our 2.5 year old.

Thanks again!! Im sure ill be back with more questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pangie55 View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies!! I am so happy to hear that everything is how its supposed to be. His diaper output it great and he is meeting all his output goals with my first nursing was a nightmare he just didnt want to do it. I am so happy this guy likes it. I am lucky i have my dh home for 2 weeks though so i have time with the baby and he can take care of our 2.5 year old.

Thanks again!! Im sure ill be back with more questions
    Having that two weeks is great, but you might still be in the sit and nurse phase after he goes back to work (my son is 14 months and I still feel that way during a growth spurt or tooth cutting!). What I found worked was preparing meals ahead of time for my older. When my husband was home I would put her lunch together and put it in a container so all I had to do was pull it out of the fridge. And I used the TV much more than I care to admit. And the sling. I had a Moby. When the baby would sleep I made sure I had something special planned for my daughter and I, so she still got some undivided attention. And most important. I didn't stress the housework.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I agree with Mommal. Sounds like comfort nursing. Remember that your baby was just tucked away safe and warm inside you forever. It's big, scary, cold world. The only place he wants to be is in your arms. I wish the world didn't condition us to believe that our baby needs to detach immediately upon cutting the cord. It is perfectly normal for a baby to want to suckle all day long. That's how pacifiers became so popular
    My advice? Decide that for the next 6-8 weeks you are going to be firmly planted on the couch. Grab the remote, a giant bottle of water and sit. And nurse. And hold your baby. Not only will you establish breastfeeding, but you will heal the way you were meant to heal, you will feel very bonded with your baby and maybe most important you will not be stressing that something is wrong. I know it's hard. I've done it twice. But trust me when I say it's worth it.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold