Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning at ONE!!!!

Default Pump weaning at ONE!!!!

Hello Ladies,

So, my LO will be ONE at the end of the month and I am looking for experiences/tips on pump weaning. Currently, I pump 3 times (every 3 hours) at work Monday to Friday, and I nurse while with my DS. He nurses once when we get up in the morning around 730-8ish, then I pump at 10am, 1pm and 4pm. We nurse after daycare at around 6:30pm and he nurses before bedtime around 8:30pm/9pm. During the night, he will wake AT LEAST once to nurse, usually two times. So, in total, he nurses 4-5 times a day in addition to his 3 bottles of 4oz each - he also eats anywhere between 6-10 oz of homemade solids while at daycare. (We nurse all weekend when I am not working, i.e. no bottles).

So, I am looking to continue nursing while together, but want to pump wean. Do I go to 2 sessions instead of 3? Or do I still do 3 sessions but don't pump too long? I've noticed that the times I go longer than 3 hours (say 4 or 5), I will feel full, but usually there is no pain from being full. Usually how long does it take to pump wean? I've read that my milk supply while we nurse when together... will still be okay at this point (one year, yay!). I don't mind still pumping a bit during work for a while, while I transition him to another milk for him during the day at daycare (he might have a dairy allergy, seeing the allergist a week after his birthday, but that is another post!!!)

Also, for the weekends when we are together all day, do I try to avoid nursing during my usual work hours while pump weaning?

Please let me know how you pumped weaned, what challenges you encountered or if you have any tips or advice.

TIA !!!

Default Re: Pump weaning at ONE!!!!

Here's how I pump weaned, but it's really something each woman has to play by ear: I went from three sessions to two long before Joe was one when I realized I could pump the same amount of milk in two sessions. (Everyone's storage capacity is different, also I had oversupply so longer breaks between pumping was actually more similar to how I nursed Joe - one boob every two hours.)

When I decided to pump wean, I started to push my morning pumping later every day until it could wait until the afternoon pumping. That didn't take very long, and I had no problem waiting until early afternoon to pump.

So then I was at one a day. One a day was great for me. I was still making quite a bit of milk (probably 70% of my prior amount), and I was comfortable.

Getting from one to zero was the hard part, and you'll hear different ideas. Shorter and shorter sessions didn't really work for me, because I'd still be uncomfortably full (and I'm prone to clogs) by mid-afternoon. So I ended up, again, pushing it later in the day instead. The idea was to push it late enough that I could just make it until I got home. But this took a long time for me, I admit. So when that didn't work so well (I was feeling engorged and getting clogs), I tried using a hand pump to just take the edge off later in the day, and then weaned off that.

It really depends on you! For some women it's a breeze. For others, it takes a while. I would recommend that you take it slooooowly, whatever you do. It can take anywhere from a couple weeks, or, in my case, a couple of months, but you know what, in the end you're pump weaned. It won't take forever! It's easy to get impatient, but it's better to go slow.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I had low supply and by the time she was 12 mos I was really not uncomfortable skipping my morning pump session at work and just pumping at lunch even though my daughter nursed probably 4-8x night at that age as well as about 8x during the day (yes, that's a lot).

I would nurse however much you want on the weekends and disregard your pump weaning when you're together unless you're also trying to wean him.

Congrats on making it to 12 mos!!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. You may make a little less milk on weekends, but other than that there should be no difference. You can go ahead and nurse all weekends. If you are easily engorged (I was kind of unusual for still feeling so full at a year) you might find that mondays are a bit harder than other days, but even for me it wasn't that noticeable.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.