Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help needed to stop feeding my 15 month

Default Help needed to stop feeding my 15 month

Hello,
    Any advice on stopping feeding my 15month old? you think i would have all the answers after feeding my other 2 till 11.5 months & 13 months!! ;-)
    She has a feed at afternoon nap & then for bed ( & if she waskes through the night) She does take a lot at this time. Full fat milk she manages around 2oz. Juice in a beaker no problems. Mainly my fault as i have no idea of how to get her to sleep with out it!!! She's not a cuddly child or docile like her brothers who were happy to lay there ( admittedly i was sat there to) but they didn't scream like her. I don't agree or want to try the screaming method.
    Help me please!!
    Thanks

Default Re: Help needed to stop feeding my 15 mo

It sounds like nursing your daughter to sleep is really working right now. What are your thoughts on choosing now as the time to wean her?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Hi, she is fully weaned 3 square meals a day plus anything she can pilfer, has juice during the day not fussed whose if it's her brothers it's all the better! ;-)
    She doesn't bite only grazes occasionally when teething, never pulls up my top begging, i guess it's me being lazy & using it to put her to sleep just need some hints on doing it another way!! ;-) ( a magic wand would be good! lol x

I guess what I was wondering is... if it works, are you sure you want to change it now? I personally found toddler bedtimes to be WORLDS easier when we nursed (my second child) than when we didn't (my first child).

But if you really do want to wean, there will probably be tears involved, and that's okay, as long as you can still be really present with your daughter, and truly empathize with her distress. When we were night-weaning my toddler son, there were several days of him screaming and sobbing, and me rubbing his back and holding him and telling him I understood how sad and angry he was. Find a phrase that your daughter will understand, ours was "nursies are tired, mama is here". Lie with her, let her express her feelings, repeat your explanation, and if you can, validate her feelings - "you're so sad", etc.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Teal nailed it, as usual. I can totally understand if you are ready to wean- by 15 months a lot of moms are feeling DONE with nursing! But if you're still enjoying nursing, or at least feeling okay about it, there's no reason not to continue. It's great for both you and your baby, health-wise, and speaking as a mom who has nursed 2 toddlers, there is no easier way to soothe a tantrum or transition to a nap or fix an owie than the breast. If you want to continue, you will find no end of support on this forum! no pressure, of course.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We had good luck with putting rocking in between nursing and falling asleep. It sounds like you are more done with nursing her to sleep than nursing itself. So we nurse until he's pretty sleepy, and then I rock him. Most of the time I don't get many rocks in before he wants to lay down because he's so sleepy. Or you can put something else in between nursing and bedtime. A story maybe?
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!