Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush?!?!?! God not again!

Default Thrush?!?!?! God not again!

Hey lll ladies.

I haven't been on in quite awhile, weaned my oldest and my new baby is one month. BF has been going great, no issues there. But I noticed shes been more fussy these last two days. Her tongue is white and I tried to get the milk off a little but it's not coming off. That's thrush right?

I'm not having symptoms yet.

My biggest concern is my milk stockpile in my freezer. I have like 30 something bags dating back to early Oct and my DH and I are going to a wedding next week so I HAVE to have that milk for her bc my mom will be watching the kids.

What do I DO????

TIA ladies.
    Proud mama of baby Ava Lee 09/16/09 6lb 15.5oz
    And introducing... Vera Anne! 7lb 6oz 9/26/11

Ava Lee self-weaned at 15 months
    Vera for 1 month now... Our goal is one year!
    I support AP!

Default Re: Thrush?!?!?! God not again!

How long will you be away from her?

Leaving Friday morning and returning sun afternoon, so 2 days total.

I support AP!

Whiteness on the tongue is normal for most babies, and not, in themselves, automatically thrush. White spots on the inside of the mouth are a more classic symptom of thrush. If you're not getting symptoms and there are no spots on the inside cheeks, etc., I wouldn't worry.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Wow!! That's a really long time to be away from a newborn.

2 days is? She's a month old and she'll have my milk. I'm pumping while away.

I support AP!

Yes. Two days is a long time for a newborn. What type of pump do you have? Can you bring her with you? Is there any way?

Like joe.s.mom said, a white coating on baby's tongue is normal and not a sign of thrush. White patches inside the cheeks or on the gums are the things to watch for. Signs in mom include burning nipple pain and shiny or flaky skin on the nipples or areolas.

Fussiness can be caused by, well, a lot of things! Growth spurt, fast letdown, gas, etc. Is there anything else in particular that you've noticed?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    Yes. Two days is a long time for a newborn. What type of pump do you have? Can you bring her with you? Is there any way?
    Look, with all due respect, that's not what my post was about. It was about thrush. She'll be with my mom. She has my milk. She'll be fine. It's 2 days, not two weeks.

Your post made me feel like I'd be doing something wrong by leaving when that had not even occurred to me before. I stay at home. She gets me 24/7. Do you say this stuff to moms who have to work a lot? That's not cool. 2 days with a responsible caregiver will not traumatize an infant. Jesus Christ.

I support AP!

Even if it does turn out to be thrush, most (if not all) of your stockpile is probably fine if the yeast just started. Just maybe don't add to it until you're sure that it's not thrush...annoying I know. I've been back to work for 2 mos and haven't been able to store anything b/c I've been trying to get rid of a yeast infection.

Anyway...I'd keep an eye on it & make sure you don't notice it spreading in her mouth or any symptoms in yourself. Take what precautions you can to prevent it....air out after feedings, keep everything dry, etc.

Good luck!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong