Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help please!

Unhappy help please!

I am in desperate need of help. I am relactating at the moment. I stopped breast feeding when my son was 5 weeks old, he is 10 weeks today. I cannot get ahold of anyone regarding this subject except one LC who is very unsupportive, but I have a huge urge to continue breast feeding.. I have the time, patients and determination, I just do not know how to go about this.. I have been pumping every 2 hours with the Medela symphony for the past 2 weeks. I never completely dried up, but my milk supply has only increased a tiny tiny bit going from 5ml all day to half and ounce all day. My son won't nurse regularly, Its hard to explain. He knows how and he's willing in the bath but that's it. He latches fine WHEN he does latch in the bath. I don't know how to get him to latch other places? All info is greatly appreciated. I was told by a lc who I rented my pump from to eliminate all bottles, but how do I go about eliminating bottles? How else can I feed him? Please understand He will NOT latch on anywhere besides the bath so he will not just take a sns. I need to work up to that. I really need help

Default Re: help please!

Welcome! How awesome that you are giving relactation a go. I know you are working your rear end off and it has to feel kind of unrewarding when your baby will only latch on in the tub... But you really are way ahead of the game because you still have milk and because your baby will latch. There are moms who start their relactation journeys with fewer factors in their favor.

Okay, here are some things to try:
    - If baby will latch on in the tub, spend as much time there as possible. Take 3 baths a day, or more if you can stand it.
    - If you are not currently sleeping with your baby, you may want to start. A lot of babies who will not latch on by day will do so at night, when they are sleepy and relaxed.
    - Check out these tips on getting baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. The instant reward and skin-to-skin techniques are especially useful.
    - Pump as much as possible, aiming for at least every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night.
    - The Symphony is a good pump and definitely the right class of pump for the job you want to do. But make sure your breast shields are a proper fit, in order to get maximum stimulation from the pump.
    - Check out this link on how to drop supplements: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    - Consider using a galactogogue to help you increase supply. Herbs like oatmeal, Fenugreek, and Blessed Thistle are are useful, and can be used without a prescription (be cautious with fenugreek if you have blood sugar issues). There are 2 prescription medications which are often used to increase supply: Reglan and Domperidone. Both can increase milk supply as a side-effect. Discuss use of either medication with your health care provider before taking them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Completely agree with the previous poster! Especially talk to your doctor about the prescriptions..

Also, I had to EP for a while for my DS because he would not latch. My supply was diminishing fast and I did not know what to do! So I tried the medela silicone nipple shield and it worked wonderfully! (We still use it..) It is a silicone nipple that covers your own nipple and feels hard like a bottle nipple.. Since your LO is so used to bottles this may work for you. You can worry about weaning off the shield later once your supply is established but right now the best thing would be getting baby back to nursing. It was only about 7 dollars from Meijers (or Wal Mart)
    July 27 2011

All great advice from PP. As for another way to feed your LO, we had to supplement at first and the LC at the hospital gave us a finger feeder (DS had bad latch due to tongue confusion, the finger helped teach him where to keep his tongue.). I am not sure if you can buy them at the store but I have heard of people using an SNS as a finger feeder as well; the LC told me to have DH feed the baby with it as his fingers are larger and help teach LO to take in the whole nipple. GOOD LUCK!!! You are doing a great thing for you and your LO.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Awesome! Thanks for all the great advice also I visited the lc at the hospital where I live today and she urged me to eliminate bottles.. I've been finger feeding, and using a soft feeder and a syringe also... my baby is really fussy now. I was wondering about how long it will take for him to forget the bottle? I feel like I'm going to give in because I just want baby happy, but I know ill really regret it if I do

Ok so its only been a day or 2 but for an update 2 weeks ago I started pumping and I could only get 5ml a day. Since getting the symphony today I managed an ounce total, and my son took the sns today. I was pretty upset because he didn't nurse in the tub yesterday and I felt like I took a step back. So frustrating! The only problem is, I have to trick my son into taking the sns. I give him a bottle for no more than 3 seconds..then take it away and he will latch on me just fine.. then he will realize he is getting something and finish the sns. Am I sabotaging my efforts by giving him the bottle for the 3 seconds? I really hope not, as this is the only way he will stay latched for more than a few seconds.