Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerned 10 mo old is weening& low iron

Default Concerned 10 mo old is weening& low iron

Over the last month my 10 month old seems to be loosing interest in nursing. She nurses very well first thing in the morning and then the rest of the day is a bit of a struggle. She's nursing maybe 3-4 times within a 24 hr period. She does eat some solids, she has a texture issue and eats mostly baby food, about three 4 oz. jars a day. She seems very happy and is gaining weight at an average weight. I was offering solids after breastfeeding, but now my ped is saying I need to reverse the order. Since doing so the last few days she has cut back on nursing even more.

Also she just had a Hemoglobin test and her iron level was just a little on the low side. My pediatrician suggested giving her an iron supplement. I checked the La Leche League website and what little info I found seems to suggest that iron supplements are not recommended, as they may cause discomfort and can actually cause iron issues as she gets older. Does anyone have any experience with dealing with low hemoglobin? I'm not sure if I should really be concerned since her level was slightly low and considering waiting on giving her any supplements. Maybe if I increase my iron it will make a difference? Any suggestions?
    :

Default Re: Concerned 10 mo old is weening& low

See when you have a baby that isn't nursing very much, you do want to offer boob first. My son is the opposite, still nursing 10+ times a day so I just offer whenever at this point. I do think if you just push through and keep offering BEFORE solids and at other times he will come around after he gets used to mobility. You're doing great mama! I doubt he's weaning

One thing I do agree with your pediatrician on is the iron supplement. I do not do iron but my baby's iron test was normal. If it had come back low, and I was only nursing 3-4 times a day, I would give it. Two reasons. One is that the iron in breastmilk is perfect and absorbable for baby, BUT your baby isn't nursing all that much. Two, it's not like you're giving iron to an exclusively breastfed infant. He's older, he's on solids, he's getting iron from other sources.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Welcome, and congratulations on making it to 10 months of nursing! That's awesome, and I am sure you have lots of good nursing times ahead of you.

10 month old babies are often highly distractable. Why sound hours at the breast when you could be exploring and eating dirt off the floor, right? . When faced with a distractible baby, the following strategies may help:
    - offer the breast more frequently
    - take the baby into a dark, quiet location when it's time to nurse
    - nurse before offering solids
    That last one- nurse before solids- is what my pediatrician would tell you to do, which goes to show how different the advice on solids can be from doctor to doctor! Honestly, I don't think much of your pediatrician's advice. It's advice that will hasten weaning, and which is designed for mamas who really want to wean ASAP, not for mamas who are eager to continue to nurse!

How low was your LO's hemoglobin? You may be able to forgo supplements by simply changing the solids you're offering. Leafy greens, meats, tofu, beans, and apricots are all good sources of iron. An iron supplement for you won't hurt, though I am not sure that it is always going to be enough to counteract low iron in the baby. It probably depends on how low the baby's iron is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you ladies for the advice and encouragement. I was surprised too when my Ped was encouraging me to to solids first. I really like him and he has always been helpful. I will say I often get the vibe from him and his staff that they don't seem to think there is much of a difference between breastfeeding and formula. I remember at our 1 month check up a nurse pushing formula because I was sleep deprived. She didn't understand why some of us sacrifice so much to breastfeed when we can have our hubby give formula to the baby and we can catch up on some sleep. I am so glad I did not listen to her. Nursing has been a very difficult challenge for me. I have inverted nipples and had to use a shield for 4 months. Finally, we got a good latch and were smooth sailing until the last month.

I have tried going into a quiet dark place and sometimes it works. I am actually very frustrated at the moment because my daughter only nursed 2.5 times today. I just tried to nurse her before putting her to bed and she bit me. I really am concerned that she is not getting enough from me. I did not listen to my Ped today and nursed before solids. Things seemed to be going ok until our last nursing session. Now with her iron being low I am just so concerned that she isn't getting what she needs. I have been feeding her spinach, beans, winter squash and anything else I have in the house that is iron packed. I even gave her egg, which now I am reading that I shouldn't. I am so incredibly frustrated. Her iron test was 10.4, a good result is 10.5 or higher. It really is a very small margin and the Ped was really not concerned. He didn't seem concerned in general, even about the breastfeeding. So now I think I am getting worked up for nothing.
    :

my 10 month old is hard to nurse too since she is all over the place. I try to squeeze in extra mini-feedings by letting her "drive-by nurse" when she's playing (she likes to take a few swigs here and there while she's throwing her toys around the room). dream feeding also can help get some extra milk in there. I've seen a lot of moms here say that their LO's picked up in their nursing again at a year when it had dropped off due to distraction and such in the months before.
    hope you find something to ease your mind a bit mama!
    and... I LOVE your username I never was a cornflake girl either
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

If you have enough wet diapers she's getting enough. Plus you said her weight gain is good so you're probably fine

Do you co-sleep? My son nurses a lot half-asleep, you may be able to get in more sessions that way. Also we nurse in the side-lying position usually as it seems to minimize distractions. He's so distractible it's crazy! Loves to nurse but he'll even crawl over to the stairs for me to take him up to the bed and nurse him LOL! He even knows he can't nurse with stuff going on!

Your doc probably suggested you reverse the order because they tend to assume you are wanting to wean at a year. In which case she'd need to be taking in enough solids for you to transition to cow's milk
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Sometimes babies decrease their interest in nursing when they are teething- is that a possibility? The bite makes me think that it could be. Are you currently pumping at all? The reason I ask is that I have 2 friends whose babies self-weaned at 9 and 10 months, which is very rare! These were mamas who really wanted to nurse and their babies just wouldn't cooperate, even after they sought help from a good lactation consultant and tried all the back-to-the-breast tricks listed here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. Anyway, these mamas ended up pumping the remainder of the first year- at first because they were trying to maintain supply for the day when the baby decided to nurse, and then because they could give bottles and mix the milk into the baby's solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"