Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Expressing milk.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default Expressing milk.

    Who pumps regularly ... I know it's hard work, well it gets annoying but how long have you been doing it for and how long can you carry on doing it for untill it dries up?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Expressing milk.

    Pumping for me SUCKED! But I HAD to do it if I wanted my DS to be able to EBF some day (and he has for the last 3mo) I pumped after EVERY TIME we BF (bout 12x aday) I did that for the first 3ish months till he got good at removing milk and my supply increased, then I went back to work so I pumped every 3 hours on the days I worked and as many times as I could AFTER he BF on my days off b/c we also NOD (by 3/4mo he was doing well @ the breast) Then I lost my job when he was 5mo ( bout 6wks after going back from ML) so I havent pumped but 1 time since then ( in hopes that DH and I would get a dated night, but that hasnt happened yet) And Im SOOOO happy I dont *HAVE TO* pump anymore. My DS is now 9mo and I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope I NEVER have to pump again!!!

    jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting


    We
    NIP BLS

    In need of some

    LACTIVIST

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: Expressing milk.

    If you don't HAVE to pump, don't. Nurse instead.

    But we have some moms here who have pumped for a couple years even while at work. There a few moms who exclusively pumped for at least a year.

    Theoretically, if you are exclusively pumping, you could keep a milk supply that is full as long as you pump 120 minutes in 24 hours indefinitely. But who wants to do that? But it doesn't just dry up unless you drop sessions, decrease time at the pump or both, or get pregnant again.

    Most moms who nurse decide to pump wean in the baby's second year - 12 months seems to be a good time -- and go on to BF for a year or even longer with no problems, but they may find they are not able to pump (or need to pump) when away from their toddler.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Expressing milk.

    But it doesn't just dry up unless you drop sessions, decrease time at the pump or both, or get pregnant again.

    although not always on the prego part, I BF throughout a pregnancy with LOTS of milk the whole 9mo
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting


    We
    NIP BLS

    In need of some

    LACTIVIST

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: Expressing milk.

    In reading some of your other posts, it sounds like you are strongly considering EPing. And I truly believe it's a mistake, simply made out of not knowing how easy BFing gets in the long run. Unless your baby has a physical problem that precludes nursing, feeding at the breast is much, much better for YOU and baby in the LONG RUN. Yes, it's HARD getting through the being-at-the-breast all the time. But that is baby's instinct. And even a bottlefed baby, unless you give formula, will go through spates of needing to be fed constantly. I only thought BFing through a growth spurt was hard...it was NOTHING compared to having to pump and bottlefeed through one. I was hooked to a pump all the time for the first 12 weeks, and trying to hold a crying baby, feed said baby and pump at the same time is very difficult.

    I can only see that EPing is easier if someone is there taking care of your child for you 24/7 so you can pump. As it is, I get nothing else done --- I have four kids -- and the house is a wreck, the laundry is always half done, and we eat a lot of takeout because I spend 120 minutes of my awake time pumping, another 120 minutes feeding, a 30 minutes washing up...and then there is actually taking care of the other kids. Housework is last on the list.

    I know EPing is easier in the short term, but I GUARANTEE BFing gets easier the longer you work at it. And like just now, I was pumping...and my 9.5 month old mobile baby was crawling off the bed, unplugging my tubes, getting into things. It would be so much easier to just nurse him and get it done. So much so that now that my guy has had his palate fixed, we are going to try very, very hard to transition to the breast...and he will be 10+ months old. Yeah, it was easy to EP when he was little and just laid there (well, not really, but it was easy compared to now!).

    Trying to pump while out...that's tricky. And far from easy. It has sure curtailed our social life. And sex life. Yeah. I feel like a cow. So unsexy.

    I'm serious. I'm glad you want your baby to get breastmilk, but I think you are taking an ideal situation -- a normal, healthy baby who is doing only what instinct is saying to do -- and making it second rate. There is plenty of research that shows that bottlefeeding is way less ideal than breastfeeding, even if it is pumped milk.

    Instead of giving up and turning to a pump, what about checking out a local BFing group or LLL meeting? Then you could see how easy BFing is and hear some first hand stories about those first few rough weeks and how to get through them.

    We have all BTDT with baby nursing all the time. It's OK. Really. It won't be like that forever!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Expressing milk.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    In reading some of your other posts, it sounds like you are strongly considering EPing. And I truly believe it's a mistake, simply made out of not knowing how easy BFing gets in the long run. Unless your baby has a physical problem that precludes nursing, feeding at the breast is much, much better for YOU and baby in the LONG RUN. Yes, it's HARD getting through the being-at-the-breast all the time. But that is baby's instinct. And even a bottlefed baby, unless you give formula, will go through spates of needing to be fed constantly. I only thought BFing through a growth spurt was hard...it was NOTHING compared to having to pump and bottlefeed through one. I was hooked to a pump all the time for the first 12 weeks, and trying to hold a crying baby, feed said baby and pump at the same time is very difficult.

    I can only see that EPing is easier if someone is there taking care of your child for you 24/7 so you can pump. As it is, I get nothing else done --- I have four kids -- and the house is a wreck, the laundry is always half done, and we eat a lot of takeout because I spend 120 minutes of my awake time pumping, another 120 minutes feeding, a 30 minutes washing up...and then there is actually taking care of the other kids. Housework is last on the list.

    I know EPing is easier in the short term, but I GUARANTEE BFing gets easier the longer you work at it. And like just now, I was pumping...and my 9.5 month old mobile baby was crawling off the bed, unplugging my tubes, getting into things. It would be so much easier to just nurse him and get it done. So much so that now that my guy has had his palate fixed, we are going to try very, very hard to transition to the breast...and he will be 10+ months old. Yeah, it was easy to EP when he was little and just laid there (well, not really, but it was easy compared to now!).

    Trying to pump while out...that's tricky. And far from easy. It has sure curtailed our social life. And sex life. Yeah. I feel like a cow. So unsexy.

    I'm serious. I'm glad you want your baby to get breastmilk, but I think you are taking an ideal situation -- a normal, healthy baby who is doing only what instinct is saying to do -- and making it second rate. There is plenty of research that shows that bottlefeeding is way less ideal than breastfeeding, even if it is pumped milk.

    Instead of giving up and turning to a pump, what about checking out a local BFing group or LLL meeting? Then you could see how easy BFing is and hear some first hand stories about those first few rough weeks and how to get through them.

    We have all BTDT with baby nursing all the time. It's OK. Really. It won't be like that forever!

    I understand, I really do and I would love to breastfeed all the time but I just honestly find it so hard at the moment lol. It's a natural instinct what if I bottlefeed and when I find it hard I can change him to breastfeeding

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In Peace
    Posts
    2,923

    Default Re: Expressing milk.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ishah2124 View Post
    I understand, I really do and I would love to breastfeed all the time but I just honestly find it so hard at the moment lol. It's a natural instinct what if I bottlefeed and when I find it hard I can change him to breastfeeding
    It's not that easy. He has to learn it now. Otherwise it's going to be hell getting him back to he breast. Some moms try so hard to do just that and are unsuccessful. I feel that you are dismissing the great advice that these very experienced moms are giving you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Expressing milk.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    It's not that easy. He has to learn it now. Otherwise it's going to be hell getting him back to he breast. Some moms try so hard to do just that and are unsuccessful. I feel that you are dismissing the great advice that these very experienced moms are giving you.
    Youve got me thinking the clicking noise is the reason of fussiness, you know what, that's what I did say to my husband too but then I thought no maybe its just normal lol. argghh maybe I will try just the breast then

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •