Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clicking noise ''/

Default Clicking noise ''/

My 4 weeks old son makes this clicking noise every time I feed him with the bottle, what could this be. I have put him on the breast and bottle on the same days...but it's been a few days (a week even) he's been making this clicking noise throughout all his feed with the bottle.

Could he be getting lots of air trapped this way or is it ok.

Default Re: Clicking noise ''/

A clicking noise is what happens when the baby breaks suction for some reason. Often this happens when the baby is trying to control the flow of milk, so it makes me wonder what sort of nipple you are using on the bottles. Perhaps they are delivering too rapid a flow of milk?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    A clicking noise is what happens when the baby breaks suction for some reason. Often this happens when the baby is trying to control the flow of milk, so it makes me wonder what sort of nipple you are using on the bottles. Perhaps they are delivering too rapid a flow of milk?
    Iv'e got the avent bottle, 0+
    I dont know why he keeps making the noise it's really worrying me

How is his diaper output? If that's normal, the clicking is just a funny noise and nothing to worry about. My second DD made squeaking noises like a screen door, and my little brother used to hum... Babies can make a wide variety of funny sounds and, again, if diaper output is okay the sounds aren't of concern.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

How is his diaper output? If that's normal, the clicking is just a funny noise and nothing to worry about. My second DD made squeaking noises like a screen door, and my little brother used to hum... Babies can make a wide variety of funny sounds and, again, if diaper output is okay the sounds aren't of concern.
    How many nappies is this again?

Just some encouragement... DD made a clicking noise while she was nursing, from quite early on. We (me and the lactation consultant) never did figure out why, but as far as we can tell it didn't change her latch or affect her ability to breastfeed/grow. It did get less frequent as she got older too.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

I would move to a slower flow nipple. Your child is working to control the milk flow. It must be coming out of the bottle faster than it comes out of your breast.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree. Mine was a clicker at the breast for 2 weeks as a newborn, and just outgrew it and hasn't done it since.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

Hmmm

Sometimes hes clicks now and sometimes he doesn't, he does it less now but still does it sometimes.

I think I know what it MAY be... as iv'e confused him by putting him on the breast/bottle and then breast again maybe he forgets lol but iv'e kept him on the bottle now.