Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: have i hit the pumping wall?

Default have i hit the pumping wall?

i think i have read on this forum before about a pumping wall that you can reach at the 8-9 month mark... well i think i may have hit it. my son is 8+ months and i normally am able to pump 4 oz in 3.5 hours consistently and for the past few days it has been in the 3 oz range. how can i get past this? i cannot pump anymore than i do now and my son seems completely satisfied at the breast at home? any ideas?

membranes are new and pump has good suction (pis)
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Default Re: have i hit the pumping wall?

Yeah, it seems to be a mental and physical wall, where pumping is just plain hard that most moms reach at around 9 months.

When I hit that point, I spent more time at the pump at each session. I took fenugreek and used some other herbs. I added a session -- like I got up in the middle of the night, something I hadn't done since he was 3 months old -- and pumped a bit. It took two weeks to get through it.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm just hitting one too, like I got 1 oz total the other session!!! I also do more visualization and drink more water
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I hit this recently too (second baby is almost 10 months old).

Have you tried hand expression? I have reached a point where I almost can't stand to pump, but I can hand express about the same amount in roughly the same amount of time as if I were pumping. I was having trouble pumping more than an ounce or so and started hand expressing after and for some reason, that seems easier right now.

Tracie, do you hand express into the bottle? I have never been good at it but then I've never had to really practice.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Jenna, I hand express into the horn. I pump for a bit, get annoyed with the pumping, turn off the pump and then hand express into the larger of the two horns. I do get some milk shooting around in my office sometimes, but oh well.