Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding problem

Default Feeding problem

My 6 week old just had her upper frenulum cut to try and help this problem. She is still clicking and losing suction. She does have thrush, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Some days I'm not too sore and other days it hurts so bad!! She also has trouble getting her top lip to fold out. Any advice?

Default Re: Feeding problem

She also does the same thing with a pacifier.

That sounds frustrating! Aside from the clicking and loss of suction, how is nursing going? Is baby producing enugh wet and poopy diapers (indicating good milk intake)? And how does nursing feel? Is it painful at all? The reason I ask is that sometimes clicking and loss of suction and a weird-looking latch is a problem, and sometimes it isn't. A baby who is producing enough diapers and nursing without causing pain is doing okay, even if things look and sound a bit wonky.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is gaining weight like a champ! Some days hurt more than others and that gets very frustrating.I know she gets plenty of milk. She has thrush and its taking forever to clear up. Maybe she just has a weird latch? She can't keep a pacifier in her mouth. Is that normal?

Okay, if baby is gaining weight then things are going right on a basic level. It sounds like your real issue is pain. Can you describe what you are experiencing?

Oh- and it can be normal for a baby not to hold a binky in their mouth. Often it's because they just aren't that enthusiastic about it. And why would they be- it's a poor substitute for the breast!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Lol well I try not to use it. But she likes to use suck to sleep but as soon as I move her she is wide awake. She is so hard to keep asleep. The pain is hard to describe but sometimes it hurts all the way to my back. I got some of the medela shields that hold your clothes away from you and let air circulate and that seems to help. The pain doesn't short through my breast but radiates to my back if that makes any sense.

Also, something I did notice is my nipple always has a crease as soon as I take her off.

Creased nipples indicate a latch issue. It's possible that the baby is still adjusting to the frenulum clipping, and is going to figure out a better, deeper latch any moment now. But combined with the clicking and the loss of suction, I wonder if maybe she is trying to control a fast flow of milk. Breaking suction is a good way to get milk flow to slow or stop. When she clicks, do you ever see milk stream or squirt from the breast, or dribble from her mouth? If so, adopting more reclined nursing positions may help, because you enlist gravity to slow milk flow.

The radiating pain makes me think of 2 possibilities:
    1. Thrush. If baby has it, you almost certainly have it too, regardless of whether or not you are demonstrating classic symptoms. If you are not being treated for thrush, you absolutely should be.
    2. Vasospasm due to compression: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html

My own experience is a nipple shield can protect (keep it from hurting) your nipple while baby is learning to latch correctly. With my youngest DS, even after being clipped it has taken him some weeks to get the correct latch. The shield has helped my nipples, just recently he's been able to get it right with out the shield though.

Secondly until the latch is completely worked out and going well, it's best to stay away from paci's as they can encourage a bad latch, not that they will cause them, but they can have a bad latch with it and keep on going. With a bad latch on you, you can feel it, unlatch and relatch till it's right, and till they learn how to do it correctly, with a paci they just keep on with their bad latch. If that makes any sense?

Also some babies love the paci and keep it in, and do great with one and others just don't care for them. So far I've only had one that likes the paci and will keep it in.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I was having pain before the thrush and it is so sensitive to the cold. Also I have noticed that my nipples get very pale. So I definitely believe there is a blanching problem. Is it related to blood pressure? Like maybe its worse if your bp is high? It doesn't always radiate to my back but when it does the pain is horrible. Especially when its cold. The creasing has been there without pain, so while I do think her latch may be a little off, I think the majority of the problem now is with the thrush/blanching. Is that possible?