Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD vomiting with preg. while nursing

Default DD vomiting with preg. while nursing

Hi All,

Any good remedies, ideas, anything for me to pass along to my dd?

She goes in tomorrow morn to have ultrasound to find out how far along she is but we're guessing 6-8 weeks or so.

She is determined (for which I am proud!) to continue breastfeeding her 9 1/2 mo. old during pregnancy and isn't sure yet about tandem after newborn comes.

She is extremely nauseous and is throwing up daily now. Baby is now wanting to nurse every 2 hrs and at night every 1 hr. Awful when you are exhausted and sick as heck. She is having a hard time keeping anything down and has an especially hard time drinking water as it triggers vomiting for some reason. Only during pregnancy tho. She is quite concerned with both babies getting needed nutrition since she is having such a hard time keeping food and liquid down.

Please offer any advice. Dr. suggested a nausea drug (forgot name of it now). She is usually quite against drugs, however, wonders if she ought to just use it for a 2 or 3 months until this part of pregnancy subsides.

Would it be worse for baby if she quit altogether or if she got some of the drug through her milk?? We both hate the idea of drugs, but at this point it is sounding like the only option that would allow her to continue breastfeeding.

Pleeease. Any ideas, remedies, thoughts would be quite invited at this point. I will pass them on to her.

Thank you so much!

Mindy

Default Re: DD vomiting with preg. while nursing

if you could find out the name of the drug, you could check this site. I think you can also call them

http://www.infantrisk.com/
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Was the drug Diclectin? That is common anti-nausea drug given to Pregnant women( i was on it with my first pregnancy till 27 weeks) I'm not sure if it's safe while BF though.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Not sure if this will help her or not, but I found that the Sea Bands they carry in drugstores helped me quite a bit. They are basically acupressure bands that you wear on your wrists. No drugs or chemicals, just a stretchy band that you wear. I found that if I placed them on correctly, it did help alleviate almost all the symptoms. I even wore them on a cruise when NO medication would get rid of my sea sickness!! I could tell almost an immediate difference if I took them off (usually ending up in a bout of vomiting or extreme nausea!) It's worth a try, but I can't guarantee it will work as I don't know how severely she is affected by her morning sickness. Also, I am not sure if you can use these during BF (but I think they are fine), I found the Preggie Pop Drops worked wonders on holding the m/s at bay. I am sure their website will state if they are safe for nursing also. Hope she feels better soon...I cannot imagine having m/s and nursing at the same time! She is one determined woman! Good luck! And my hats off to her!

If you can find out what the name of the medication is, I could also send you some information from Medications and Mothers' Milk.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

So sorry to hear she's not feeling well! You're such a great mom to be seeking solutions for her. I've heard that some women are able to keep water down better if they put something in it, like slices of cucumber or strawberry. Orange and lime would taste good but I don't know if the citrus would turn her stomach. Coconut water is a great way to get potassium and hydration, and it's really easy on the palette. Hoping that things get better for her soon!

I am an apple cider vinegar drinker. It is a home remedy for nausea and heartburn. Mix 1 tablespoon with 8-10oz water. If that is too hard to drink, then warm it up and add some honey. If you do this, make sure to buy unpasteurized with the mother (meaning unfiltered) as the pH of this variety is more suitable for drinking.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

So, she just found out that she is 8 weeks and 4 days pregnant. The recommended drug is Zofran, but Dr. did say that if she wanted to try vitamins as a remedy FIRST. A combo of B6 and B12 might work for her. She just said that she'll try that first. Those preggie pops and sea bands are something I just called and told her about so she'll look into those for sure.

Thanks to you all for your help!!

By the way, we are avid ACV people. Love it! It's the best best stuff ever. She just took some a couple of weeks ago and it warded off a coming sinus infection.

Just an FYI on the Zofran...hope this doesn't offend anyone by being gross, but the medication can REALLY constipate you (I had it both pregnancies). So she needs to make sure she drinks plenty. Also, tell her to eat and drink separately...as long as she doesn't get over full, she will have an easier time keeping things down. Also, I found that eating about five saltine crackers and sipping on COLD water before I got out of bed, helped hold some of the m/s at bay!

I did well and by well i mean i only got sick half the time on watermelon and grapes and chicken or turkey breast( as dry as coudl be )when i was sick, everything else would coem back within minutes ... and oddly enough the only time i could keep water down was when i was laying in the shower( it just felt better as a shower then a bath and laying down made me not so nauseous) and i had my SO bring me cold glasses of water... It was the only thing that really gave me relief from the sickness for all those weeks( till i was 27 weeks) I could usually get 2 glasses of water down... on occassion it did come back up but at least i was in the shower and it was all liquid anyways. I would lay in the shower daily cause of the relief it gave me. I also wore sea bands, took diclectin, drank pickle juice, ate sour hard candys,ate teh preggo pops, tried to eat small meals/crackers frequently nothing really seemed to help but i kept it up cause i didn't know if some how the sickness would be worse without doing any of it. Hopefully this doesn't last the whole time for her and just the typical first trimeseter Oh also I could not take any prenatal vitamins or supplements while pregnant except plain old folic acid ( we tried many different kinds, prescriptions) any made it much worse... I even tried introducing them again after my sickness seemed to have subsided and it just brought it on again. I can't take the prenatals with this pregnancy either without getting sick so I just opted for folic acid and eating healthy.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz