Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Superior Labial Frenulem (lip tie?)

Default Superior Labial Frenulem (lip tie?)

Glad to say I stuck with my gut for once! DD2's top lip will NOT uncurl when latching. If I try to flip it out with my finger, she loses her latch. She actually made a slight bruise above her lip one day as she sucked it in while nursing! I felt like something wasn't right and thanks to another mom on here who posted pics of her son's top lip area, I began to suspect she was tied too tightly there. I was right and pediatrician confirmed it today. He called it a superior labial frenulem.

So my questions are these: Has anyone else had this issue? Did you see an oral surgeon or an ENT? (Doc was concerned an oral surgeon wouldn't see an infant so young, so he referred us to a local ENT). How old was your child when this was corrected? (DD2 is 4 months...I am concerned!) Did you LO gain better weight? (She's a bit behind). Did you get better latches and less pain? What procedure did they use? Did you have any issues of it growing back?

I am familiar with tongue tie as DD1 had hers clipped at 2 days old...immediate relief and great latching. But this is new territory for me with the lip. Worried DD2 will not be able to relearn proper latching and sucking techniques. Am I worrying for nothing?? Thanks!!

Default Re: Superior Labial Frenulem (lip tie?)

I haven't had experience with this but know I've seen stuff about labial ties in my research of tongue ties (apparently they tend to go hand in hand). I think if you got it clipped it would improve nursing, although many people nurse labial tied babies successfully without the clipping. I would imagine rolling the lip back regularly would prevent scar tissue from re-attaching the lip. My mom, age 61, just had her lip tie clipped recently with a local anasthestic and didn't even feel it. She was having lots of problems with her upper front teeth and the dentist said she would either have to have it clipped or have veneers.

Default Re: Superior Labial Frenulem (lip tie?)

Thank you so much for sharing!! She fits the profile lip tie so perfectly it's scary. I also discovered that we could have potential dental issues later if this isn't resolved, so I am really glad I figured this out NOW and not later. Just really heartbroken that all our struggles to BF may be due to this little thing. However, I am hoping this resolves a LOT of our problems! Making an appointment today for her! Thank you again!