Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 month old self-weaning???

Default Re: 8 month old self-weaning???

Yeah! I am so glad to hear that things are going better! Be encouraged that my ds still nurses about every 3 hrs all through the night also. I know that you can feel a lot of pressure to make him sleep through the night, I know that I did I will tell you though once I kinda quit worrying what everybody else said or thought, the whole sleeping through the night thing just became not such a big deal anymore, at least for me?!?

Smile Re: 8 month old self-weaning???

Why does everything end up being related to SLEEP??? It's funny because I belong to a mom's group and all but one are NOT sleeping through the night, even if they were a few months ago and they are all in that 8-9 month range. There is alot of pressure to let them cry and I just can't do it. After trying it, it's not worth it to me and everyone gets LESS sleep that way. Honestly, it's not the waking up to feed him that even bothers me because I do love those moments when he's just quiet and staying still (which are very few and far between these days ), it's me worrying that I am creating this life long sleep problem by going to him and feeding him in the middle of the night. It's nice to hear that others are going through the same thing or have been through it and came out in one piece on the other end.

haha..my DS still wakes up and he's 23 months old! He doesn't nurse anymore, but he wakes easily! Hang in there!! It won't last forever

I would be curious to know how many of those moms are bfing? In my LLL group there is only ONE!!! mom who's babies did not do what we are all talking about now. What does that tell you? Most babies do wake, and often. I used to get so frustrated bc people would not even hardly ask ds's name before they were asking if he sleeps through the night! I take so much comfort in the thought that he will not go to college nursing or still waking in the night. This too shall pass. For situations like this I have really leaned on my local LL group, do you have one? One mom said you know we all wake at different times in the night, we as adults can toss and turn and go back to sleep but babies have a harder time and end up crying out for mom and dad. That is what we are there for. You could do a couple of things if you wanted to; give dc a few min to see if he will go back to sleep on his own, I have also heard of moms who will cut back a min of nursing each night so like 15 min then 14 min then 13 the 3rd night etc. Until they night wean. You could also pick up the book called The No Cry Sleep Solution, I have not read it, but many say that it is very helpful!

I decided to nurse my third child Sara An longer then my two sons. She will be 8 months next week and she has been screaming the past two days when I offer her the breast. Unlike some of the other replys I have read Sara An has been sleeping throught the night for months now, and she is eating a lot of table food now. I hope some of the advice will keep me on track I am not ready to give up on her yet. I know some of you will understand. I actuall have been crying because i do not want her to stop yet. It is making me feel inadequate as her mom right now.

I have been reading through some of the most recent posts and it looks like everyone with a 7, 8 ,9 month old is going through a similar experience and they just need a quiet place to nurse with little distraction. I have found this a life saver this week. I think they are just so active and excited about their environment and want to go exploring. We just have to create a BORING place for them to nurse in

After reading some of the messages last night I tried nursing SaraAn in a less distracting environment and she did much better today. The only time she fussed was when her brothers were around. Hopefully this will be a turn around for us. I really feel strongly about sticking it out a little longer even though I have had some lack of support due to the lack of understanding at home.

Thumbs down Re: 8 month old self-weaning???

i know this thread isn't about sleeping thru the night, but it kinda took that turn. my 12 week old will usually go to sleep around 9 or 10 and sometimes sleep until 4 or 5, othertimes up every hour or 2. i have to not tell my family, they push the formula issues too much. i get told, "if you gave him the formula, he would sleep for you". what is up with that theory. my nephew is now 6 mos old and was never bf. they say "look at him, sleeps all night and has since 2 months old". it doesn't matter if i say i love him waking up and needing me, only i can fill that need. and it is the best for him!!!

I made a similar post in the weaning section. My son is 8 months old and up until today he would not nurse in the day except first thing in the morning and before his nap. He would nurse up to 3 times in the night and waking more frequently than that. He has never been a good sleeper--3 or 4 hours is the max between wakings and now it is more like 2 hours. He is teething--ugh!! He isn't napping as much in the day either. For the first 6 months of my son's life he would only nap for 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a day and up frequently in the night too! He is always on the go. Tall for his age and a couple of months advanced in his motor skills. He has always been a distracted nurser, an acrobat and a "bully"--beat me up while he nursed. I finally got him on a nap routine where he slept 3-4 hours a day but now he is refusing to take his second and third nap--so here I am exhausted again and to top it all off today he bit my nipple and I overreacted and he will not nurse at all! I'm hoping he will nurse tonight in a groggy state. I'm sorry that you are going through this too but in order to keep our sanity I know it feels good to know that we are not out there sailing alone.

What good moms you are to stay the course through all of these hard times!
    I would def suggest to nurse in a dark room and to try not to let your children get too over tired. An overly tired baby falls apart in all areas, good nursing, sleeping, etc. This too will pass, Blessings!
    Also about the formula and the sleeping, not true, some babies just sleep better than others.