Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 month old self-weaning???

Default 8 month old self-weaning???

My son is eating 3 meals a day and breastfeeding about 4 times through the day and once or twice through the night. He eats well at night but in the day is very distracted and doesn't nurse very well. He pulls off, looks around and is generally not all that interested in the nursing but will eat lots of solids. I feel like I might be getting short on supply as a result. Is all this leading to him weaning himself? I am not ready to stop breastfeeding yet but is he? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 8 month old self-weaning???

Hi there! I too have been in your shoes. It is funny one day we were all on a thread talking about this very same issue, the Leader came on and said that this was so common and that some women do wean and others have a dip in milk supply etc. I am saying this all to say that LL says that rarely does a child self wean before the age of 2. Weaning that happens before then is usually directed by something else, pregnancy, parent led, etc... Weaning before a year rarely, rarely happens and is not a good idea to encourage. Babies primary source of nourishment comes from breast milk for at least the first year. Solids are VERY secondary right now. Like I said I have also been in your shoes, I had to make a BIG effort to nurse ds in a dark room, with no distractions several times a day. Even if your dc loves solids you should always nurse him first and then feed him his food. If you are seeing a big drop in his nursing I would cut back on his solids and try to get him to nurse more. I will say that at 9 months now I feel that my ds is starting to nurse more again. I know that this is a lot of info and I am sure that more moms will come along with other advice. Best of luck and many blessings to you and your family!

Brittan took the words out of my mouth. She offered some wonderful information. Aside from nursing in a dark room, you may also want to try a nursing necklace to keep him focused towards your chest. Good luck!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Thanks for both of your responses. I really do not want to wean just yet. I will try the dark room and perhaps lying down with him and see if that makes a difference. I have been so fixated on him sleeping through the night but maybe he's still waking up because he's feeding better at night?? Who knows. But I will definitely try this.

DS is almost 10 mos and still up frequently. I look at that a couple of ways:
    1. He's getting most of his nutrition at night so I don't worry as much during the day. YAY!
    2. Babies brain growth occurs the most during REM sleep. For babies, they have REM at the beginning and end of their sleep cycle (unlike adults). So as I'm up, again, at 11,3, 5 am I keep telling myself that his little brain is growing so much that he's the next Einstein! hahahaha.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Hi there

Just wanted to say that the nursing is going much better in the dark room and lying down. He is still distracted by even the smallest spot on the wall but there's less distraction than before. I actually feel like I have a bit more milk too in the last day or so. Thanks. As for the waking up the middle of the night, I'm frustrated because I hear of all these babies that sleep from 7pm-7am and at 8 months, mine is still up 2 or 3 times. Mind you he's up to eat and right back to sleep but will it ever stop??

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Hi! I'm going through the same thing with my 7 month old right now. It makes me feel so much better knowing other people have the same issues, and its not just me! This forum has really helped me stay sane. The one thing that has worked for me was to nurse him while he was still asleep early in the morning. As much as I dislike it, I am also pumping to keep up my milk supply.

What helps it be less frusterating for me is co-sleeping. I find that I get much more sleep that way than if I was up 3-4 times a night and sitting up to nurse him. I've often fallen asleep with him latched on or even worken up with him helping himself!

I know it seems like it will never end now (I'm interested in others responses regarding this) but I just keep telling myself that in a few years he'll be mr. independent and I'll be missing this so I try to cherish those quiet, special, just us moments in the wee hours of the morning.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Most of those babies who sleep 12 straight hours at night are sleep-trained. A very few babies do this naturally. It's also quite common for babies to start sleeping all night after a few months, and then to start waking frequently in the 2nd half of their first year. When my son was 9 or 10 months old, I was as sleep-deprived as I had been when he was a newborn -- but with much less support and it went on for a lot longer, too.

I know it's impossible to take a long-term perspective when you're so exhausted and stretched so thin ... but try to believe that meeting his need now for nighttime parenting is going to pay off in the long run, and also that the frequent night wakings will not last forever. In the meantime, I advise you to use whatever sleeping arrangements get the best/most rest for everyone. It's a lot easier, IME, to negotiate or tweak sleep habits with an older toddler than with an 8mo -- right now it's just about survival, KWIM?

Smile Re: 8 month old self-weaning???

Your baby will sleep through the night when he's ready Try not to focus on it so much as all it can really do is serve to drive you batty, lol. Babies that sleep through the night (whether it be 5 hours or more) in the first year of their life are really the exceptional rather than the rule. I know that I have 3 children and not one of them slept through the night prior to age 1. I have a daughter who will be 2 in a few weeks and she sometimes sleeps through the night and sometimes she wakes up 1-3 times. It really just depends on the baby.

You're doing a great job! Keep it up!