Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump parts question/ pumping at work

Default Pump parts question/ pumping at work

I am hoping that my problem has an easy fix like new membranes and valves but I thought I would ask.

A little history: I am lucky and my sister gave me her PIS that she only used for 3mo, so I have one at work and one at home. When I got the pump from her I changed out all the valves and membrane and got new tubing. The one she gave me is the one that I keep at work.

I have been back to work for a few weeks now. My problem is that today one of my breasts does not seem to be responding to the pump; I am getting barely an ounce out when I would get 2.5-5 at a time. I tried to switch assemblies and I got a bit more but not what I would expect and my breast still feels like it is semi-full but there is nothing coming out even with compression's. My left has always responded better to the pump and produced more than the right but not like this.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem or things that I should try would be great. Thanks ladies.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: Pump parts question/ pumping at work

Try using the other horn on it, the one that seems to give the better output, for a few sessions, and see if it is your breast or the pump. If its the horn, then your output will increase. However, it is also normal for supply to drop in the less favored breast -- like see if your LO nurses more from the other side -- and also, it may not respond as well to the pump to begin with, so the demand difference by pumping versus nursing could be why you are seeing such a decrease. Clear as mud?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Susan,
    The biggest thing that made me wonder is that it still fells full after pumping. I have the golf balls of milk in there still, they are just not coming out (and it is not just one or I would have though a clogged duct). I was going to see if there is anything that I can make a hot compress for my next pump before I go in again and see if that helps. LO does prefer my left so I always have had better production from that breast.

I go see my NP tomorrow for another issue I will probably see what she says also.

Are you able to switch pumps? Perhaps the one your sister gave you is wearing out.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    Are you able to switch pumps? Perhaps the one your sister gave you is wearing out.
    I wondered about that but she barely used it. She pumped 2 times a day for 3 months with it then threw in the towel. I thought that they lasted longer than that. I might switch them out and see if that helps.

I would put new membranes on them. I always used a PISA, but with Ameda horns, and valves, etc so I could be wrong on the names, but those white thing things on the horns, that's what probably needs to be changes. They need to be changes pretty regularly.

That being said, you may also want to take the face plate off and make sure there's not a lot of dirt/dust/grime in there.

When I was on a pumping mom's yahoo group I heard there was places you could take your pump where they would test their strength, some LC's had this machine that would do it. When ever I have asked in real life LC's though they give me a crazy look and say they have no idea what I am speaking about! lol So I dunno. lol

But, do the membranes first! They get saggy/tears etc easily and need changed very regulalry. I found that out with my DD1 very late, and almost compromised my pumping cause of it. But, I was EPing, a lot harder to keep supply up then people who actually nurse and pump, so don't get too scared, since you probably nurse at home. But, yup change them up and make sure to have a good stock of them to continue to change them regularly, and yes one can wear out before the other one as well, so one side may be just fine and the other one may need replaced.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Things are going much better today. I actually went out and got a manual avent pump and that is working great so far.I have also switched out my pumps and will try the PIS next time and see how things go