Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Abnormal pap

Default Abnormal pap

When I was pregnant with my lo who is now about 2.5 months old I had an abnormal pap smear. I just got retested and now it is high grade and I had to have a biopsy. I am terrified and just wanted to see if anyone else has been through this or knows anything about it. My doctor said I might need to have a LEEP procedure to get rid of the bad cells. I am worried that this might affect breastfeeding and am terrified of getting sick when my LO is so young. Thanks for listening.........

Default Re: Abnormal pap

I know there are Mamas here who've had this procedure, i hope they chime in. I hope it's nothing Mama, but that's the great thing about regularly screening -- so if there is anything more serious you've caught it early and it's treatable. Lots of hugs.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Hey mama! First of all it's always very scary to hear the word biopsy. I went through this. First, there is no need to worry about the procedures affecting your nursing relationship! There are no drugs to worry about or long periods away from your LO or long recovery times. Most of these procedures are in office and only take an hour or so. Some, even less! And you can walk right on out and snuggle your baby after.
    I am guessing that you will be having a Colposocpy to determine exactly what cells you are dealing with. This test is a smidge uncomfortable but it's really not that bad. I took an ibuprofen beforehand and that's all I needed. It will cause some cramping like your period will but really thats all and the healing isn't painful at all. The LEEP is even EASIER! They will numb you for the LEEP using a local anesthetic and that's the hardest part (stings a little). The LEEP took about an hour when I had it done. The healing is a bit longer than the Colp but is similar in that you just get some mild cramps. No pain.
    The really great news is that you had a regular screening that detected an issue in it's very very very early stages. Lots of times it's just an infection that causes the irregular cells. Sometimes they are precancerous. The great news about that is that the LEEP will take them off
    Good luck mama
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Thanks so much for sharing. It's good to hear from someone who has been through the same thing. I already had the colposcopy and biopsy and am waiting for the results. I'm glad to hear that the LEEP isn't that bad if I have to have it done. I'm a little worried because it had been a little while since my last pap before I got pregnant beacuse I was without insurance. My first abnormal one back in Jan. wasn't high grade though so I'm hoping it was caught in time.

You're welcome mama. Waiting is so hard!! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about the results or anything with someone who has been there. And really, truly, the LEEP is not bad at all. Good luck
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together