Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scars from a previous nursling

Default Scars from a previous nursling

So my baby is not born yet but I was just thinking about this the other day and thought I would ask for advice from some of you ladies.

Ds had a terrible latch in the beginning and we had thrush plus bacterial infection for about 8 weeks. I have some pretty large scars on both nipples from the trauma of those first few months and because of the infections the sores took a long time to heal. The tissue is a whitish color so it is very different looking than the rest of the nipple. So my question is will these scars reopen or are they at a higher risk for causing problems with this second baby or anything?

I just want to be prepared if they will be more easily irritated or anything like that. I am assuming bfing will be much easier this time because even if there are problems I will likely know what to do or at least where to turn for help, and now I know not to let it go on for weeks before seeking help. Thanks for any advice! I am getting anxious and nervous to start all over again!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Default Re: Scars from a previous nursling

Aww, mama, I totally understand your fear! I also had mammoth wounds from nursing my first baby, and while they healed without scarring (Thank you, G-d!) I was very, very scared that I would have the same problems with my second baby. Turned out that I had some minor blistering from DD2, and that was it, and the areas that had been problematic with DD1 were unaffected with DD2. It truly is a totally different experience with every baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! I am nervous, but hopefully they will be no trouble.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

I have huge white scars from Max but no issues because of them now even while nursing Sam
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi NSM, glad to hear that your bun is still cooking along in the oven. I don't have any experience with scar tissue from bfing #1 but I know I went through the hoops to continue TN during pg to avoid having trouble with #2. I have Reynaud's and it felt like thrush for almost 4mos, plus we had some latch/skin breaking issues. With #2 I felt a few 30-second sizzles, as Mommal so rightly called them, plus a few sensations deep in the breast tissue, but I don't remember more than a handful of times that I felt either. It was much, much easier. I've only had very small leaks twice in 10 weeks. My theory is my body knows this gig better and the ride is much smoother. I think and hope you will find it the same
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?