Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7-mo not excited about solids

Default 7-mo not excited about solids

Hello, first time poster. My 7-month-old will eat solids (mostly fruits), but he is not terribly enthusiastic about it. Some days he will only eat once, when the doctor recommended twice a day. Is this normal? And is he getting the nutrition he needs? He still nurses as much as always.

Default Re: 7-mo not excited about solids

I have read on hear many times that solids are just for fun & exploration for the first year. Breastmilk is still the supplier of most/all of the nutrients.
    My son was not excited about starting solids around 7 months-he screamed!
    We just started my girls on a bit and the first 2 attempts were met with resistance. last night DD1 was having fun. DD2 wanted no part. We are going to take our time and enjoy the experience!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

At this age, solids are indeed for experimentation. Breastmilk should be his main source of nutrition (always nurse before offering solids). Don't worry about how much solid food he is eating mama. As long as he's happy and gaining weight, everything is fine. I recommend the book Baby-Led Weaning by Gill Rapley. Oh, and there's whole thread dedicated to this topic further down on the home page called Introducing Solids.
    Last edited by @llli*momtodom09; November 8th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

He's fine. 7 mos is still on the early side and it's not going to be replacing nutritional needs met from your milk for quite some time.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

No worries. Breastmilk alone is sufficient to meet a baby's nutritional needs until around 1 year of age. After that point, solids become an increasingly important part of the baby's diet, but many babies don't start consuming a majority solids diet until well into their second year of life.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah what momma said, I haven't had a baby be that interested in eating much solids till nearly 3 years old. they love mommy milk. Sure they will taste a few things here and there but be excited to down a whole meal of solids, nope....not till well in to year 2.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~