Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To breastfeed or to not?

Default To breastfeed or to not?

It turns out that my LO has or had a virus that causes sever diarrhea. The diarrhea has almost cleared up, but he is now left with bloody, mucousy stool. The doctor said that it is due to the inflamation in the intestine from the diarrhea, and that it will take time to heal. NOW...my doctor advised me to stop breastfeeding my baby until the diarrhea has completely cleared up. Apparently, the lactose that breastmilk contains can further irritate the bowls. However, everything that I have read online has said to continue to breastfeed because it can actually help speed up recovery. I was just wondering if any one has been in this situation and what their doctor has said....

Default Re: To breastfeed or to not?

no, no, no. Your doctor is wrong.

Breastmilk is much better on your baby's insides and you are absolutely right, it does speed up recovery. A lot of doctors are misinformed. They are relying on information that is outdated.

There are a lot of people pushing formula - because basically the reality is that there is money to be made from it. When formula is purchased someone is getting paid. The more formula bought, the more donated to hospitals, which encourages more sales, which encourages more donations.... Formula companies also give money to help with research in other areas, but there is a trade off: posters in the clinic lobby, free samples to give to new moms, etc.

Breastmilk is the best thing for your baby, especially when he/she is sick.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Jenn said it all. I would not stop breastfeeding.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

You are right to be suspicious. Can you get a second opinion with a different doctor?

When my son had diarrhea I was encouraged to nurse as much as possible to prevent dehydration and replenish lost bacteria (probiotics).
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Wow, your doctor is dead wrong. So sad to me that so many are misinformed about breastfeeding. When they are sick is the BEST time to breastfeed.
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

My LO had something very similar when she was about 5 weeks old. Big green mucousy diarrhea, which my dr diagnosed as a virus. The advice I got was to keep breastfeeding, and actually to offer the breast more often than usual to avoid dehydration. Yes, the dr did tell me that her digestive system was irritated, and that the irritation would last for several weeks after the virus cleared up--but that was normal and it took time to heal. Sure, the irritation makes the intestinal lining more sensitive to everything, including the lactose in BM. But formula would be much, much, much worse--much more irritating. And BM has a better electrolyte balance than formula.

After my LO's diarrhea cleared, she was also left with mucousy poops. It turns out she was sensitive to many foods in my diet, and when I cut the foods the mucus, blood and other symptoms disappeared almost completely. Now... maybe it was a coincidence... but sometimes I think she never had a virus to begin with, but rather it was the first manifestation of her food sensitivities. Just my mom-opinion....
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Because cow's milk is bad when babies have tummy troubles or diarrhea, doctors sometimes say breastmilk is too, when actually, it's quite a bit better than pedialyte or water.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Formula contains lactose, too. So how would switching to formula help?

Sorry, this is absolutely ridiculous advice. Lots of moms nurse their babies through diarrhea, and also through bloody stool issues. It will pass in time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would continue to breastfeed. If you stop it will be much harder to start again. If there is something in your diet that is irritating baby's tummy then you can work to eliminate that but there is no reason baby shouldn't be able to keep getting your milk.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Formula contains lactose, too. So how would switching to formula help?
    Not sure what this doc said, but often they're not saying do formula instead - they're saying no milk or formula; only pedialyte or whatever?

Still wrong. Breastmilk is better than pedialyte for dehydrated babies.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.