Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shields too big?? & Soreness...

Default Shields too big?? & Soreness...

I think my pump shields might be too big but I'm not sure & don't really want to spend the money to buy smaller ones just to find out that they're too small My pump is a Medela PISA & right now I have the medium (standard) size shields.

When I pump, my nipple and some of the areola get "sucked in"...the pics I've looked at (link on the breast shield size thread) seem like it should just be the nipple & not the areola. I notice that I have a "ring" around my nipple after I pump and it is sometimes a little sore, especially the left side. The right doesn't seem to be affected as much, even though it looks the same as the left while I'm pumping.

Also I've been fighting what I thought was a yeast infection, but after 10 weeks or so of Newman's cream, 4 weeks on Diflucan, 3 rounds of Nystatin for DD (who never had any sign of yeast) & tons of boiling/sanitizing, I'm not so sure...could pumping with shields that are too big cause nipple/breast pain that might mimic a yeast infection? Or vasospasms? I've been wondering for a little while if it was vasospasms all along, since some of my symptoms match up with that too. Burning, itching, redness, deeper pains, etc. Symptoms started a week or so before I went back to work, around the time that I started pumping more...

Sorry this is so long...hopefully my questions make sense! Would really like to figure out what's causing my pain...we've spent a lot of $$ trying to cure a yeast infection...
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Default Re: Shields too big?? & Soreness...

Honestly, those sound too SMALL. Yes, according to the pictures it might look right, but I know I was horribly sore until I got size 36. Like screaming sore. Exactly what you describe. I have a thread in the EP forum because i was so sore. I'm still sore -- and im 9.5 months into EPing -- but it's controllable.

It sucks in my entire areole, but it's much more comfortable than the 27 the chart says I need and the 30 the two IBCLCs said I should try. You could also look into PumpinPals. Some moms find those more comfortable. I did not, and I found them more annoying than regular horns, but if you can't find a solution, they are worth a try.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I use both the medium and the large size and alternate between the two because one breast pumps better with the large and one breast pumps better with the medium ( I don't like to mix sizes because then one side sticks out more than the other making one handed pumping difficult, but that is neither here nor there)

When I use the large horns my smaller breast gets a whitish ring around the nipple. No pain, but the ring sounds similar to what you describe, so perhaps they are too big, or maybe you need to mix sizes. I don't think there is an exact science to fitting these things as everyone's breast respond differently.

I know it stinks to spend $$ on things that you end up not using, but if you are going to be pumping a lot for work it is vital that you find something that is comfortable.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thank you! Guess I have some experimenting to do...I feel like I need someone to look & tell me what they think. Would a LC be the best to see about this? Or my midwife? I may be going back to the midwife pretty soon if the "yeast" pain continues...
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

IBCLC. Although your midwife might know something. But most are not trained in the art of breastfeeding and pumping, even if they have BTDT.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!