Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow at pumping - Is it me or the pump?

Question Slow at pumping - Is it me or the pump?

I have been pumping a few weeks prior to my return to work back in August. I am using a PISA and lately, it seems like sometimes I can get 6 oz collectively in 10 minutes or so and other times it trickles out for 20 minutes and I have to get back to work. I also turn it up as high as the speed will go (gradually so it won't hurt) but even at the highest speed, it still feels slow. Is it me or the pump or me just getting used to the pump? I replaced the membranes last month and have not called Medela/gotten a replacement pump because I don't know "who's at fault" (I use it 4x a day on weekdays and 1x on weekends) ...thoughts?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Slow at pumping - Is it me or the pu

That just happens. Sometimes, it is faster and easier. Other times, I still feel half full when the pump shuts off after an hour.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Are you using breast compressions?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    Are you using breast compressions?
    I clicked on your thread pretty much with the sole purpose of asking about this too! Compressions can speed up any pumping, and usually increase your total output too. That said, there is still a lot of variety between pumpings. I used to get twice as much at my morning pumping as at the afternoon one. Totally normal. But compressions help anyway.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.