Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain going on 5weeks,whats wrong?

Default Nipple pain going on 5weeks,whats wrong?

My baby was born Oct 3 and I have been consistently having pain since. He had a tounge tie that was clipped Oct 26th so i thought that is where the pain was coming from, but I am still having pain while laching. Other than the latching I am totally fine. It is sharp intense, toe curling, take ur breath away pain for 5-10 seconds after the baby is on, after that there is no pain. Could This be thrush? (no white in the babies mouth) could I just need to heal after 3weeks of bad latching (bc baby was tounge tied and I dealt with the pain bc I didn't want to give him a bottle) could this just be a bad latch issue? (after the clipping of his tounge I do hear "clicking" a lot, could he not be latched properly?)

Please help!!

Default Re: Nipple pain going on 5weeks,whats wr

Honestly, latching is always painful for me. It always settled down after a few seconds.

Are you seeing anything else that is worrisome? Lipstick shaped nipples after a feed, a crease line around the nipple, redness between feeds? The clicking could be a bad latch. It can also be a response to fast letdown or an indication of continuing tongue-tie.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I do have creases on both nipples, but I don't know if that's bc they are stuffed into my bra with nursing pads.. Nothing else is really worrisome but the pain. I never made it this long BFing my older child so I dont know how long to expect pain. I have seen a lactation consultant and she said my latch was good, and I PRAY it's not the tongue tie re-attaching!!

Hm, yeah, my nipples are creased right when I take my bra off, but that should resolve within just a couple of minutes. It is whether or not they are creased immediately after a feed that is the important thing. If they are, the latch is off.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

My nipples were soooo painful for probably about 6-8 weeks and I was religiously applying lanolin cream after every feeding. I did go to the doctor and they gave me a different cream to apply and the pain seemed to go away after that. Not sure though if it was the cream that actually did the trick because I wasn't applying that as religiously because it needed to be washed off before baby ate and I didn't want to be rubbing them more than I had to.