Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice for night weaning that is not CIO

Default Advice for night weaning that is not CIO

My son is 1 and has been sleeping in his own room since he was 2 months old. (His choice, not mine. He hated his basinet and squirmed and fussed if he slept next to me. After putting him in his own room he slept MUCH better.)
    He started to decrease the night feedings on his own as he got older. We were down to twice a night. But for some reason in the past few weeks he's back to 3, 4, sometimes 5 times a night! I have to get up, stumble to his room, take him back to bed with me, nurse back to sleep (until he starts squirming and fussing) then stumble back to his room and put him back to bed. Talk about exhausting! I don't think I sleep more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. It's like he's a newborn again.
    How do I start decreasing the nighttime feedings? I'll say now, that not only am an NOT a fan of "Cry it out" (Who is?!) but that it's not practical in our household. My husband wakes up at 6:30am and we can't just let the baby scream all night and keep us both awake.
    I don't mind nursing him once or twice through the night, but he wakes up every night at midnight, between 2-3, then again between 4-5. (And sometimes again after 6). To top if off, sometimes he doesn't go back to sleep after nursing. It can take me close to an hour to get him back to sleep.
    So any advice out there? How do I eliminate at least some of the nursing sessions through the night? (I'd like to eventually have him completely night weaned in hopes that my AF will return. Wanting to get pregnant again soon!)
    One more thing. We rarely have issues with actually getting him to sleep at naptime or bedtime. He (blessedly!) goes right down without a single fuss.
    LO born October 28, 2010

Default Re: Advice for night weaning that is not

Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution is a good resource. It's aimed at starting with younger babes but the suggestions are good for those of us who don't like CIO.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Reading a preview on Amazon and I already love it!
    LO born October 28, 2010

Could the one-year molars be getting your LO down? My kid vastly increased her night-waking when those were coming in.

NCSS is an excellent book!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

[QUOTE=@llli*mommal;1208349]Could the one-year molars be getting your LO down? My kid vastly increased her night-waking when those were coming in.QUOTE]

Could be. He just cut his first molar a couple days ago.

But I also need help with this for other reasons. The other night my husband and I both had separate evening plans. (His close to home, mine an hour away in the city.) So we got DH's mom to come babysit. DS woke up an hour and a half after I left. DH got home around 11 and he was still up with DH's mom and very upset. I got home as fast as I could, but still didn't walk in the door until almost 1am. DS was still up (though rocking with DH in the dark). He said every time DS would fall asleep, he'd lay him down but of course DS would start crying. It's exhausting to be the ONLY one who can put the baby to bed.
    So I guess there's a second part to my sleep issues. How do I get DS to let anyone else put him to bed?
    LO born October 28, 2010

I feel for you! I have that same problem with my DH. He has NEVER once put our son to sleep at night. He is almost 10 mos old. I asked him last night if he wanted to put him down to sleep because he just wanted to play. My DH said "he likes him mommy though". Maybe if you asked him in a nice way to help you put him to sleep so he gets used to someone else putting him to sleep. Maybe that is why he wouldn't sleep for your DH's mom.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011