Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drinking more than I'm supplying ???

Question drinking more than I'm supplying ???

Why is my 5 month old drinking more breastmilk from bottle (4oz) at a time than what I'm pumping (2oz) when I'm working? His dad says he trys to pull the bottle away at 2-2.5 oz and he gets really angry. It's depleting my milk supply in the freezer and soon am going to have to go to formula while I'm gone. Also is it normal for my son to have never increased my milk supply? I'm pumping the same amount I did when he was 1.5 months old. He's gaining weight fine and peeing and pooing fine, am just troubleshooting. He went from eating once to twice a night and he would just start stirring and eyes would stay closed during feedings and back to sleep to crying, talking, wide awake at every feeding and now 3-4 feedinds a night. Wondering if it's because he's not getting enough during the day to sustain him like before??? He's not napping to much during the day. Yesterday I tried to feed more often but he ended up spitting up a a lot towards the end of the day so then it makes me think he got too much for his little belly. I dunno...maybe his bassinets getting too small cuz he's hitting the sides but am not ready to move him out of our room yet cuz his bedroom is upstairs. Maybe this is just a phase...seems like we're always troubleshooting...guess that's what you have to do with babies since they can't tell you if somethings wrong.

Default Re: drinking more than I'm supplying ???

It's pretty normal for them to start waking more during the night at this age. Totally normal.

Instead of worrying about that, instead, troubleshoot your pumping routine Like what kind of pump, how often are you pumping, have you recently changed the membranes, etc.

And how often is he drinking 4 oz? Is it the same nipples you had when he was little?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Is it possible for you to add in additional pump sessions while you are gone? If he's drinking more than you are able to pump, your body will think that he doesn't need as much... and therefore, continue to not make enough. If you can add in more pump sessions, you can signal to your body that you need more milk. Every time that you have to take some from the freezer, your body doesn't realize that your LO is wanting to eat more.

How often is he getting a bottle while you are away? For example, at 5 months, my DS was taking 3 oz bottles every 2 hours. We've recently changed to doing 4 oz bottles every 3 hours. "They" say that babies need about 1.5 ounces of milk for every hour that you are gone.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Oops, I posted at the same time as Susan and hadn't seen her reply yet!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

This article might help. It's easy for kids to drink too fast from a bottle and they want to keep eating to fulfill that urge to suck even if they aren't hungry anymore. Make sure you have slow flow nipples and that you replace them regularly. If you put water in the nipple it should drip at a rate of about one drop per second. And have your husband read through the article and try some of the tips they suggest to see if it helps.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Bear in mind that babies are more effective at getting milk from breasts than pumps are. So just coz you pump the same amount, doesn't mean he's taking the same over time directly from your breasts. He probably has upped your supply at various times...

Have you tried galactagogues to support your supply? eg I've used fennel (brew 1tsp seeds for no longer than 15 mins, strain and drink up to 5 cups a day) and shatavari.

A few thoughts when I read your post...

- with PPs that adding more sessions might help...try to pump as often as your baby would nurse if you can (every 2-3hrs ish), especially if you want to get as much out as possible. Also continuing to pump for a few minutes after the flow stops will signal to your body that you need to make more.

- Are you sure that you have the right size shields? I've heard that using shields that are too small can make it harder to empty your breasts. This thread has info on that.

- Have you thought about using a pack n' play for your son to sleep in? We did that for DD b/c we didn't have a bassinet and it worked out well. Might be a little more spacious for him Or maybe a video monitor so you can see him in his room?
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Thanks for the replies. Article was very helpful. He's eating 4 oz every 2-3 hrs when I'm away. I think we need to try a different nipple (we've been using same nipples since we introduced the bottle) so he has to work a wee bit harder because he's also getting impatient with me now too which I've heard to a degree is normal and is a phase to get through. I'm pumping as often as I can at work- normally work 2-10:30 and I feed before I leave at 1pm, pump at 4:45, 8, and 11 when get home. Good point about the membranes....haven't changed them yet so probably need to. I did buy smaller shields and have been using those and yesterday I tried the ones it came with and the bigger ones do work better so will continue to use those. I've heard that it's the frequency at the breast not the length that increases supply....is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaje0601 View Post
    I've heard that it's the frequency at the breast not the length that increases supply....is that true?
    Not necessarily, or at least that has not been my experience. I got about the same yield when I pumped more frequently as I did when I pumped for longer at a time. I think that's one of those things that depends on you and your baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

All those things will help.

Also, try using breast compressions to fully drain your breasts as much as possible.

Generally, increased frequency increases supply, so if you can sneak in an extra pumping session somewhere, or nurse more when you are off, that may help. The other thought I had is to make sure you are pumping long enough. While I know you are not EPing, an EPing mom needs to pump for 120 minutes a day to maintain supply, and a pumping mom needs to consider time spent at the pump when replacing baby for any feedngs. If you are pumping for a total of just 30 minutes, for example, then you are not pumping long enough. Try pumping for a few minutes past when you can express more than just a few drops, as that will seem like an increase in demand and make you make more milk. Some moms are sensitive to time spent not nursing with a decrease in supply. Does that make sense?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!