Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF after gastric sleeve surgery

Default BF after gastric sleeve surgery

I am considering undergoing a sleeve gastrectomy bariatric surgery. My daughter is currently breastfeeding at 5.50 months. She will be 7-8 months old when I have the surgery. My insurance company recommends that I do not have the surgery until I am finished breastfeeding; however, my surgeon says it is safe as long as I do not breastfeed until all the anesthetics and pain meds wear off. They want me to store my milk ahead of time and pump and dump after to maintain my supply. I am worried that with all the immediate weight loss there will be a flood of toxins releasing from my fat cells into my milk supply. My surgeon says that he has a patient that breastfed after the surgery and her baby is fine. I have asked to meet this mom before I have my surgery. Is there anyone else that has undergone bariatric surgery while breastfeeding?

Default Re: BF after gastric sleeve surgery

You can look up the medicines you will be given in Dr. Hale's book. Usually anesthesia is fine, once he mess wear off, your milk is clear too. I don't know about breast feeding after such extreme weight loss. I would be worried about that too. Maybe it would be best to wait until she is older and consuming less milk and more of other foods. Hopefully someone else has better information on breast feeding and weightless.

I would like to get the surgery done as soon as possible, because the company I work for is on the verge of going out of business. I do not know how much longer I will have health insurance or if I will be in a position to have the surgery.

I understand completely. I hope you find answers soon.

i agree with the pp, i would get the names of the medications you will have to use and check that book, or www.infantrisk.com.

i understand what you're saying about the insurance, but i also would agree that waiting till your daughter is older might be worth considering.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog