Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My milk tastes nasty

Default My milk tastes nasty

I thawed some milk out for my DH to feed my baby and he wouldn't take it. He hasn't had that many bottles so when he pretty much refused I figured it was because he just didn't want a bottle. But I thought maybe we should taste it for lipase just in case. Anyway the milk tasted bad...like I had to spit it out and so did my DH. However it didn't taste soapy just bad. Do ya'll think all my frozen milk will taste bad? What could cause this. My fresh milk doesn't taste like that. Any ideas because I go back to work Tuesday and I am kinda freaking out. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Default Re: My milk tastes nasty

(sounds like lipase to me. Mine doesn't taste soapy, or metallic. But it tastes nasty.

Is it the most recent milk you froze? If so, then you have a problem. If not, go back through the stash and see where it starts tasting bad, then use all milk that age and older for another purpose: baking for baby, baby food, something. Or donate.

If your recent milk is Ok, then use that but start scalding.

And see how long it can be in the fridge before it starts turning. You may be able to save it for a day before it tastes bad. You may only have hours though, which would mean you scald as soon as you can. The reason for this is so you know if the milk you pump and save for the next day will be Ok without scalding or if you need to scald.

You only need a couple days worth of milk before going back to work, so hopefully not all your freezer stash is icky.

There is nothing worse than finding your milk tastes bad and this is why I tell mamas who want to freeze milk to make sure they don't have lipase.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks so much....I set out another bag from mid october and it tastes just as bad. I'll try some from Sept. but I have a feeling it's all funky . I started pumping again tonight and scalded that milk. I'm just glad we tasted it tonight and realized before I went to work. Anyhow, I'm going to go buy a bottle warmer tomorrow (saw that on the scalding thread) and start scalding everything I pump. Also I can bring the bottle warmer to work to scald the milk I pump there. Thanks Susan for getting back to me so quick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11

I agree that it's probably lipase. The best "test" is scalding a batch and seeing if that cures the nasty taste.

I've been there and having a freezer stash that was all "bad".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Try to minimize the amount of scalded milk you feed. Scalding kills some of the good stuff in it. Definitely see if you can pump and keep that milk for the next day and feed it fresh. Then freeze Friday's for Monday after scalding. Then you only have 1 day to scald and freeze, as both of those things take some toll on the milk. Better than formula, but not as good as fresh from the tap.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have to scald my milk for the next day or it wont make it..... but I have learned that I can scald at as low as 140 degrees & its ok. Good luck momma, It killed me to throw mine away.
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

Don't throw it away!

Use it for baking for baby, adding to baby food in small amounts. Or donate to a milk bank, as the processing will dilute out the bad flavor.
    Susan

I have been pumping like crazy today for tomorrow night. I have been scalding everything I pump today because I don't really have time before I go back to work to figure out how long my milk will last before it turns. The good thing is that I only have to work one night then 4 off so I can have that time to figure how long my fresh pumped will last in the fridge before I need to scald. A couple of questions. I have been reading through the scalding thread (thank god it's here),, I noticed the milk I pumped last night and scalded had a "skin" on top I just mixed it into the milk and froze the milk. Is this okay? Is the skin something that needs to come off? Also after I scald how long can the milk be in the fridge before I should freeze? And if I defrost the milk I scalded last night and froze will this be a good test? Or should the milk be frozen longer to really be a good test if this is truly a lipase problem and that I am going about the scalding problem correctly?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11

It sounds gross but sometimes when my milk has "turned" due to the lipase DS still drinks it. It tastes AWFUL but he doesn't seem to care much.. Other times he will NOT take it and just cry instead. So maybe try giving a different batch and see if that helps any
    July 27 2011

This is the 2nd batch he refused and we weren't sure at first if he was refusing the bottle or the milk. It has to be the milk it is nasty I couldn't even swallow it. So we took another batch out and let it defrost and tasted that and it was nasty also. I am going to give it to my 3y/o and mix it with milk. I have been pumping like crazy hoping to get enough for my first shift back at work tomorrow night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11