Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could it be thrush?

Default Could it be thrush?

Today I felt some pain in one of my breasts. It is a kind of stabbing pain and very localized to one part of the breast. It comes and goes, always in the same spot, always between feedings. It was a little bit painful to latch but once baby latched it was not painful to nurse.

Could this be thrush? I don't have any other signs/symptoms and neither does baby. It doesn't feel like a clogged duct either. If not thrush, what else could it be?

I know it's all speculation but I was hoping this description would ring a bell with some of you.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Could it be thrush?

Might just be those ducts refilling.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks, Susan. It's so weird--I felt it all afternoon and evening yesterday, then it went away and I haven't felt it again (knock on wood). So maybe it was the ducts refilling or otherwise acting up. It was kind of bothersome and it didn't seem to correspond to any of the descriptions of the usual problems. The breast has so many mysteries...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I think yeast usually affects both breasts, and from what I've experienced, the nipples are usually sore/red/burning/itching, etc. Hopefully it doesn't come back, but if it does get worse or spreads to your other breast I would definitely call your OB/midwife. If it's yeast, the sooner you catch it, the easier it will be to get rid of!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong