Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vomiting Baby :(

Default Vomiting Baby :(

So 3 of my 4 kids have a stomach bug.

My 9 month old has been nursing, vomiting, nursing, vomiting all day. He's only had 1 wet diaper in the past 6 hours and I am concerned about dehydration. I've tried doing short frequent sessions but I do have a fast letdown and I think with him being sick it's too much to handle.

Any suggestions on getting him to keep down breastmilk? He hasn't thrown up the last nursing session an hour ago, so fingers crossed on that.But all day he's been vomiting down to stomach acids. I just pumped a little too, and may put that in his sippy cup, but he's never taken breastmilk via cup or bottle so I don't know....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Default Re: Vomiting Baby :(

My LO had the tummy bug a few weeks back. At first, she would throw everything back up. I have OALD and OS. I had her nurse in sessions lasting ~30sec.-1 min. and this seemed to help. I also used a medicine dropper and very slowly gave her milk that way. I hope it passes soon...How is he doing now?
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

i did nurse him a couple of times with limited success. first time he fell asleep and kept it down, also wet a diaper. second time he vomited down my shirt while I was wearing him. i just gave 20 ml by syringe.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Just keep nursing, small amounts over time. It will pass. Horrible, though, while going on.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well we're past puking and now he has diarrhea. He nursed a lot last night and today. He has a slight fever too, 99.9. I think his body just trying to fight this off?