Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hot Cereals for Baby?

Default Hot Cereals for Baby?

I have bob's red mill 8 grain cereal, is it ok to let my 6.5 month old son try it? I looked at the ingredients on baby cereal and I don't like all the chemical playing with the ingredients. Thanks for any tips!

Default Re: Hot Cereals for Baby?

8 grain may be a little too harsh on your lo's tummy. With that said though, I completely agree about baby cereal. We skipped cereal altogether and went straight to avocado, banana, and sweet potato. When he was a little older we cooked steel cut oats and let him feed himself (we also put some avocado in there once he decided he didn't like avocado )

If you want to give cereal though, homemade rice cereal is gentle on their tummies. And it's super EASY you just buy plain long grain brown rice, put it in your blender before cooking so it turns into a powder. Then you add a tablespoon of the power with some water and cook on the stove until it's creamy. You can thin it out with a squirt of breastmilk or a little more water You can also store the leftover powder in your fridge for a week.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks for the tips! He loves a lot of solid foods already, but he is always really into eating what we are eating, and since we eat a lot of oatmeal, hot cereal, cold cereal, etc in the mornings we thought if we give him something that looks like what we're eating he would be happy. I will try the brown rice. We have a baby bullet, so I will make some in there!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mskalinin View Post
    I have bob's red mill 8 grain cereal, is it ok to let my 6.5 month old son try it? I looked at the ingredients on baby cereal and I don't like all the chemical playing with the ingredients. Thanks for any tips!
    i know! i looked so hard for a baby cereal without all the dha, ara, etc. why do they all put all this stuff now, even the organic brands?
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one