Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grunting all.night.long

Default Grunting all.night.long

Ok, DS I believe is fighting with gas all night long. He doesn't cry but he does grunt and it is very hard to sleep since he's in a crib next to the bed and no further than a foot away from my head.

And I'm guessing it's gas. When I feed him he's normally fine and happy to sleep, but once I put him down, within 10 minutes grunt festival starts. And it's loud.

So currently my diet is dairy, soy, nut, shellfish free. I've also cut back a lot on veggies to try to help him out. Not the healthiest, but it's temporary right? I burp him religiously and often give him belly massages during the day.

We only have this problem at night, he doesn't really do it during the day. Also, he does have any kind of cranky colicy period, but he does want to be on the breast pretty continuously in the evening and I never deny him.

Any thoughts on suggestions on how to help him out?
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Default Re: Grunting all.night.long

Try some gas drops or homeopathic colic remedy. That might help
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We had this, too, and every friend of mine says all babies do it. Part of it MIGHT be diet, but honestly their little systems are just getting organized and it's part of that. It's a phase that will pass -- my LO is ten weeks and recently stopped grunting all night long.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

My LO is doing this too! But it is keeping him up at night, he is so uncomfortable. It's made for some long nights.... and I don't feel like the gas drops do anything for him. Just waiting for this to pass.

Mine did this, too. If gas drops don't work, I've learned two positions to carry her in that get things moving. One: lay you little one on his tummy. Slide your arm between his legs and under his belly. Each leg will be on either side of your arm. Then slide your other arm under his chest under your other arm. Left gently towards you and left him lay with his head up against you and his body laying with his back against you. The crook of your arm will support his head. The light pressure of your hand on his tummy will help things start moving! Two: Sit you LO on your lap. Put both your hands under his legs and encircle each leg with each of your hands. Lean back or stand up with baby laying against you. His bottom should be sitting lower than his knees. For some reason this helps DD2!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gamom View Post
    Mine did this, too. If gas drops don't work, I've learned two positions to carry her in that get things moving. One: lay you little one on his tummy. Slide your arm between his legs and under his belly. Each leg will be on either side of your arm. Then slide your other arm under his chest under your other arm. Left gently towards you and left him lay with his head up against you and his body laying with his back against you. The crook of your arm will support his head. The light pressure of your hand on his tummy will help things start moving! Two: Sit you LO on your lap. Put both your hands under his legs and encircle each leg with each of your hands. Lean back or stand up with baby laying against you. His bottom should be sitting lower than his knees. For some reason this helps DD2!!
    I meant to add that your hands should encircle his thighs!!

I agree with the previous posts. My sister's baby did this every night until she was about 7 weeks old. Hang in there!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

So do we just leave them in their beds until they fall asleep?
    Mine does this too and usually I let her go for about a half an hour waiting for her to stop until I pick her up where she then falls asleep. If it is something she will grow out of then I am fine with leaving her in there but if she is uncomfortable I would like to help her.
    Thanks
    Ashlynn born 10/6/11 @ 35 weeks and

Young babies have gas. How they deal with it is individual, (grunting, farting, squirming, spitting up, crying etc) but overall, it's normal. Please don't starve yourself with an "eliminate everything" diet when this is normal! It will likely go away over time as baby's digestive system matures. If you really think its your diet, dairy is generally considered public enemy number one for these issues, so you could try eliminating JUST dairy for about 2 weeks (it takes time to leave your system) and see if that helps. If it doesn't, add back in dairy and eliminate something else. The way you are doing it, even if it helps, how will you know what the actual cause was? you will be stuck eliminating all those foods the whole time you are nursing. Not fun and almost certainly unnecesary. A moms diet is only one possible cause for extreme gassiness.

Other causes of extreme gassiness:
    Forceful letdown can cause extreme gassiness. Do you have any other indications that it might be forceful letdown?

Crying gives babies gas from all the air they suck in. This air is swallowed and can cause intestinal discomfort. Of course, all babies cry, but when moms nurse at the earliest signs of hunger, and if baby is held lots, baby will likely cry less. It sounds like you are cue nursing already this is just general FYI.

Holding baby in a more or less upright position for a good length of time after nursing will often help bring up gas bubbles. At least 30 minutes. Some babies like massage as well or holds that put gentle pressure on the abdomen and help the gas work its way out like the ones described in a previous post.

As far as leaving babies in beds-I think in general, all babies, gassy and otherwise, are happier falling asleep (and even staying asleep) in loving arms than alone in bed. Leaving specific sleeping arrangements aside as that is a large topic, if a parent or other trusted adult is avaliable to hold and comfort an uncomfortable baby, no reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Young babies have gas. How they deal with it is individual, (grunting, farting, squirming, spitting up, crying etc) but overall, it's normal. Please don't starve yourself with an "eliminate everything" diet when this is normal! It will likely go away over time as baby's digestive system matures. If you really think its your diet, dairy is generally considered public enemy number one for these issues, so you could try eliminating JUST dairy for about 2 weeks (it takes time to leave your system) and see if that helps. If it doesn't, add back in dairy and eliminate something else. The way you are doing it, even if it helps, how will you know what the actual cause was? you will be stuck eliminating all those foods the whole time you are nursing. Not fun and almost certainly unnecesary. A moms diet is only one possible cause for extreme gassiness.

Other causes of extreme gassiness:
    Forceful letdown can cause extreme gassiness. Do you have any other indications that it might be forceful letdown?

Crying gives babies gas from all the air they suck in. This air is swallowed and can cause intestinal discomfort. Of course, all babies cry, but when moms nurse at the earliest signs of hunger, and if baby is held lots, baby will likely cry less. It sounds like you are cue nursing already this is just general FYI.

Holding baby in a more or less upright position for a good length of time after nursing will often help bring up gas bubbles. At least 30 minutes. Some babies like massage as well or holds that put gentle pressure on the abdomen and help the gas work its way out like the ones described in a previous post.

As far as leaving babies in beds-I think in general, all babies, gassy and otherwise, are happier falling asleep (and even staying asleep) in loving arms than alone in bed. Leaving specific sleeping arrangements aside as that is a large topic, if a parent or other trusted adult is available to hold and comfort an uncomfortable baby, no reason not to.
    Thanks for all your advice. I had actually given up soy/dairy/shellfish/nuts a few weeks before DS was born. We had a lot of stress with DD's digestive track and we were hoping to avoid similar issues with DS, but he appears to have a more robust digestive track. I actually spot tested some soy (which is the big limiter) over the weekend and it seemed to have no effect. Yay!

He does seem to be getting better at passing gas, and i think we're getting better at sleeping through the grunting, though I don't think he's doing it as much anymore.

I wouldn't say that I have oversupply, though I do only feed on one side at a time in the morning when the girls are working harder. I'd say maybe 1 or 2 max feedings a day he pops off to "catch his breath" while nursing. A lot of time this has to do with variations in his sleeping schedule that cause him to go a little longer before a feeding. When this happens he pops off, pauses a minute (milk runs down my chest) and then goes back to it. Sometimes I do pop him up and burp him there to give him a hand.

We really try to minimize his crying, but sometimes he does a little. This is mainly related to diaper changes, which he's not fond of. I always feed him any time he's upset or showing hunger cues. We don't even bother to count pees/poops/feedings because he's so far in excess of the minimums.

After a feeding I typically burp him on my chest upright. If he's awake, we play, otherwise I put him down to try to get some shut eye. Typically i've held him almost 10 minutes before putting him down though.

Anyway, I think he's just got to grow a little. He'll be 4 weeks on wed and I can't believe how fast the time has flown by. I had to boil all my pumping stuff to start building a work stash. Man I hate pumping...
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!