Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping and have questions...

Default New to pumping and have questions...

Hi! I plan on buying the Medela Harmony hand pump because I read it is a good one for occasional pumping. I am just getting over an oversupply issue and I don't know how to pump to build a supply without bringing my oversupply situation back. Also, I don't even know where begin. Do I pump immediately after she nurses? When and how often should I pump to build up a little supply? She is currently nursing only on one breast per feeding every 2-3 hrs. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New to pumping and have questions...

I'm not as well versed on OS so I don't exactly know but is there a time that she sleeps fairly consistently? Is so maybe an hour or 2 into that time you could do a full pumping. I don't know if pumping after feeding is a good idea if you block feed.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for the quick reply. During the day she takes short power naps and occasionally will sleep for about 2 hrs but I never know when that will happen. The only time she sleeps for a long stretch is at night for 5-7 hrs. So, should I pump maybe once during the night? Seems like a pain to wake up and pump, but if it's the only/best way then I'm up for it. )
    Last edited by @llli*mwb82411; November 5th, 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks for the quick reply. During the day she takes short power naps and occasionally will sleep for about 2 hrs but I never know when that will happen. The only time she sleeps for a long stretch is at night for 5-7 hrs. So, should I pump maybe once during the night? Seems like a pain to wake up and pump, but if it's the only/best way then I'm up for it. )

How old is baby?

If you don't need a stash, don't pump. Moms with OS really run a risk of creating a monster if they pump a lot.

That said, I found that random pumpings were OK. I always had enough for baby, and I was able to collect 2-4 oz here and there so I had some but never re-created the insane supply problems i had had. But with baby #1, I never used any milk. It was a total waste of effort on my part.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!