18 36.00%

5 10.00%
  • 4 or more

4 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coffee..caffeinE

Default coffee..caffeinE

I have read all the info out there on caffeine...coffee. Consumption but wanted to know what u moms do. i have been drinking a cup and a half a day for 5 months now.DD is 5 months and only on breast milk. DS is 3 years and lately has been giving me trouble sleeping so i am totally sleep deprived. Dh can't help me with him as We have a small house and I am a light sleeper. I need to drink more caffeine...I think. Well I want to... Other than coffee...I only drink water all day with all meals, etc. I LOVE water...I am not a soda or juice drinker. Can't stomach soda and juice is too sweet.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

Default Re: coffee..caffeinE

I voted zero. I have never been able to drink coffee. Has 2 cups once in high school and felt the sensation of ants crawling in my skin. A single soda is pure speed for me. I can't consume more than that.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I haven't had coffee in several years because it gives me heartburn and stomach aches. I am a big tea drinker, but since pregnancy I eliminated all caffeinated tea. I only drink herbal or decaf teas.

Do you like tea? Black and green tea can give you a little boost but are a little milder than coffee. As for being sleep-deprived, I understand that your issue is your DS waking up, but drinking too much coffee/caffeine will only make your sleeplessness worse. It'll make it harder for you to fall asleep and make your sleep even lighter.

If you're looking for a pick-me-up during the day if you're feeling sleepy, try eating an apple. Seriously! There were studies showing that chewing an apple had the same "wakening" effect as drinking coffee, without the downside of making it harder for you to sleep later in the day.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Mmm. Love my coffee. But I try to stick to just a couple cups in the morning, because the last thing I need when I am sleep deprived is to be too awake to fall asleep at night!

But I make up for it by drinking two cups of the strongest possible coffee.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I recently quit drinking coffee again. I was a hardcore diet coke drinker for years and years, then when we started TTC I quit and it was the hardest thing I've done! That caffiene is some addictive stuff. I got headaches and was miserable. When I got pg I quit morning coffee. I started drinking it again pp but recently quit (I've been off it for a few months). Mostly b/c I'm lazy...DH quit since it was giving him heartburn. He was a 4 or 5 cup a day drinker and quit for a juice fast and noticed that his heartburn that he had to take rx meds for disappeared overnight. Once he quit for good, I was making barely 8 oz a day for myself and I was tired of cleaning the damn pot, emptying the grounds. I love coffee but I hate dishes more. I hated having to wake up first thing and make it. Yea I'm lazy! Now if I could pop over to starbucks and have it made for me yea, but thats not happening.
    Plus once I was off it, no more headaches, I feel normal (same as when i drank it). I did notice though that people (especially on facebook) got very defensive if you mention quitting coffee. As if my quitting is somehow judging their drinking it. I didn't quit for some moral reason, just got tired of drinking/making it/being dependent on it in the morning. I miss it still but not enough to make it.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I voted 4 or more.
    I don't drink coffee, but there is caffeine in my tea. I drink a bunch of different types of tea and although I don't have caffeinated all of the time, I definitely start my day with it. On a typical day right now, I'm drinking 3 cups (read: giant MUGS) of black tea, and at least one green tea. Then I have herbal teas and specialty blends on occasion.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    I did notice though that people (especially on facebook) got very defensive if you mention quitting coffee. As if my quitting is somehow judging their drinking it. I didn't quit for some moral reason, just got tired of drinking/making it/being dependent on it in the morning. I miss it still but not enough to make it.
    Quit coffee? WHAT??!! YOU'RE ON, SISTER.

Just kidding. Sort of.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

mmm coffee

I wasn't crazy about avoiding caffeinated things while preggo. I also didn't know I was pregnant until I was 4.5 months along . .um. . .yeah. But I did try to only have one cup of whatever then. Now I don't care. I'm an engineering student and a mom. I need coffee. Coffee!

Thanks ladies for responding.On my good days, meaning great night sleep, I dont mind havinga cup, cup and half, but today was the first time really that I was so severely sleep deprived and go figure it really wasnt the new baby that caused it. I went ahead and had three cups today. I needed it and I don't feel guilty now. My husband is home today so he will tend to my son and I will care to the baby. Maybe we will get some sleep.

facebook is overall senstive. There are times I hate it and want to delete it but then I would miss the times I like it.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Quit coffee? WHAT??!! YOU'RE ON, SISTER.

Just kidding. Sort of.
    sorry, without caffiene in my bloodstream to fuel bursts of energy, I am less easily provoked into rage and am nearing a trance-like state of sleep deprivation. sort of.

but yea the facebook people, they endlessly commented on my caffiene quitting with how they could never ever give up their coffee. and how it is so good for you now (studies have shown), etc etc. I don't disagree! you'd think i said I was going to quit sleeping or something
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog