Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple cream

Angry Nipple cream

Hi friends, i have very bad cracked nipple, so many suggest me to use nipple cream but which nipple cream is best to use. and in one side of my nipple which is cracked, from it when I express I get some thing like watery liquid. why does it happen.any problem in it ?

Default Re: Nipple cream

how old is your baby?
    this might be helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

If the cracked nipple is the result of a poor latch, you can use either lanolin ointment and/or a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment (use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger). If the crack is the result of an infection, you need to see your doctor or midwife.

The clear liquid you are seeing is likely to be watery milk. When milk builds up in the breast, it gets more watery and sometimes somewhat salty.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I prefer nipple butter over lanolin. MotherLove or Earth Mama Angel Baby are good ones.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I used lansinoh pure lanolin. you only need a little bit. I would put that on and then disposable nipple shields for the first 2 months or so to keep every moist & protected. Be careful though-it stains clothing.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I would actually be very very careful with keeping your nipples moist, especially when there is trauma. Disposible nipple shields encourage yeast to grow. The last thing you need on top of cracked nipples is an awful case of thrush. I would say leave out. Go topless or with a thin shirt on as much as possible.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

its watery liquid only, as my baby refused to bf i stopped for a while , now again trying to express and using pump, so i found watery liquid in left side breast. so thought what could be it ? doctor suggested me to use nipple cream , but i am confused whetehr to use it or not.

There are two schools of thought: The air it out school, and the keep moist with ointment school. For me, I found that things healed faster if I kept ointment on my nipples. Except when I had thrush, when airing it out was better. So, as PPs said, it really depends on WHY you have cracked nipples.

ETA: I agree that the watery liquid is milk. Sometimes when you haven't nursed for a while, the milk comes out almost clear at first. The only other thing it could be is pus from an infection, but that's usually yellowy. If you think it's pus, I would definitely have it seen by a doctor - you may need antibiotics.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    ETA: I agree that the watery liquid is milk. Sometimes when you haven't nursed for a while, the milk comes out almost clear at first. The only other thing it could be is pus from an infection, but that's usually yellowy. If you think it's pus, I would definitely have it seen by a doctor - you may need antibiotics.
    Milk. When milk builds up in the breast- like when you stop nursing or have a plugged duct- the first milk to come out is gong to be very watery, almost clear. It's like your body knows that baby has been going without nursing, and thinks "I better produce milk that is extra thrist-quenching for the time when she finally comes back to the breast." Sometimes the milk tastes salty, and the baby may reject it on taste grounds. Just keep pumping or nursing, though, and you will restore your milk to the typical color and taste.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"