Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MRI and BFing - please advise

Default Re: MRI and BFing - please advise

It sounds like you've already found lots of info, but I'd be glad to send you the pages from Hale if a bit more would help.

Oh, there are several gadolinium-containing contrast agents listed -- gadobenate, gadodiamide, gadopentetate, gadoteridol, and gadoversetamide. Is it one of those?

I think what it comes down to is that there are usually few or no studies on how much of a given medication is transferred into milk and what the effects might be on a breastfed baby. I really don't think they could design studies for that -- it would be unethical to intentionally expose babies to a medication just to see what happens. So the only info comes from small observational studies and a lot of meds haven't even had that. And since they don't know what the effects are, they err on the side of caution. The medical establishment in general doesn't understand what a big deal it is to interrupt breastfeeding, for both moms and babies.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

just another mom who did continue nursing even with the MRI gadolinium-containing contrast agents, I don't even recall my son's age but there is a thread here I started back then

I emailed Dr Jack Newman and he was very helpful:

Dear Autumn,

Absolutely nothing to worry about. You don't have to interrupt breastfeeding even for one second. See attached. Take with you and if they tell you that you have to stop, hand them a copy of the statement by the American College of Radiologists.

For general breastfeeding information, see www.drjacknewman.com

See also the attached chapter on drugs and breastfeeding from my book, Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding (HarperCollins, 2nd revision 2005) as it's called in Canada, or The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers as it's called in the US (now out in a new edition, as of November 2006).
    he also sent me several attachments I'd be happy to forward and share
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thank you all sooo much for responding. Karen, I am not sure which gadolinium was used... I just got back from the MRI (glad that's over) and I have made the decision to keep nursing, even though the tech told me once again that I needed to wait 24 hrs to BF. Oh, and she asks, "did you pump a little extra for today?" Like it's no big deal. If I hadn't been so stressed about the MRI in the first place I might have said something, but I just wanted to get it over with. I know the stress of this entire situation may jeopardize my supply, so I'm thankful that nursing won't be interrupted. Thank you all for helping me to make my OWN informed decision about this.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :