Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezer broke...breast milk thawed :(

Default Freezer broke...breast milk thawed :(

My AC and freezer/fridge broke today around the same time and it was a 95 degree day. I didn't know the fridge was broke until I opened the freezer and the meats were halfway thawed.

Worst of all, my breast milk stash was halfway thawed. My question is, is it safe to refreeze the milk or do I need to toss it? I know you're not supposed to refreeze thawed breast milk but does this count because it was halfway thawed?

Default Re: Freezer broke...breast milk thawed :(

If the milk was partially thawed or still cold and you can re freeze it immediately I suggest mark it somehow and refreeze it.
    There is a study that looked at this specific kind of scenario and it showed milk usually fine to be refrozen. When I can I will try to look it up for you

Thank you!

Ok here is a kellymom article about refreezing breastmilk that also explains a bit about the conclusions of the study I am thinking of. Basicallly what she seems to be saying is that as long as there were any ice crystals left in the milk, it is still considered frozon so refreeze that milk with no worries. If milk completely thawed, that is when you would revert to the study findings, which are quite encouraging about the safety of accidentally thawed/refrozen milk. Here is a quote regarding this study:
    "Based on these data, it appears that unpasteurized milk that has thawed in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours may be safely refrozen."

Now, that last is at odds with current milk handling guidelines. But it is entirely possible (in fact probable) that current guidelines are overly cautious and would change if more studies were done. But who is going to do them? No money in proving how amazingly robust breastmilk is.

That is why I suggested mark the milk. To be super cautious. Because Then when it is thawed again for baby to drink, you or caregiver can be aware this may possibly be problematic milk and give it a sniff test.

http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/froze...-power-outage/

This makes me feel a whole lot better. I had given the breast milk to my neighbor to freeze for us right away & I remember the bags did still have some ice crystals in them. Crisis averted!

Yay! And sorry about your freezer.

What a bummer of an experience! So glad you salvaged the milk.