Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much solids for 8.5 month old?

Default How much solids for 8.5 month old?

Hi,

Just wondering how much solids my DS should be getting. He's 8.5 months old. The pedritician today @ his 9 month check-up said he should have two meals a day of baby food. And also that I shoul'dve started solids at 4-6 months. (I do BLS...but I might try a combo & offer some home-made purees because it freaks my DH out that he's going to take a huge bite & choke).

Just wondering what some of you wonderful moms are doing as far as frequency of solids for your LO's?
    What I've been told @ the LLL mtgs I attend is that before the age of 12 months solids are more for fun, exploring new tastes & textures, & developing motor skills.

The Dr also told me that breastmilk is not enough for him & that he needs iron. (She said, its not just me saying this, other doctors will tell u the same). In my research/tons of reading I do, I've always read that up to 12 months, breastmilk should be main source of nutrition. She made it sound like solids are so important & nutritional for him right now. I've always thought, breastmilk is the priority, then solids...before 12 months.

Do I really need to worry about how much iron he's getting in his solids right now?
    (I've never read this or been advised by anyone. Did I just totally miss this one?? :/)

TIA!

Default Re: How much solids for 8.5 month old?

Here is an article about iron for babies.

Here is what I do--I try to have LO join us for lunch and dinner. It doesn't always work; sometimes he sleeps through the meals. When he is there I try to share with him what we are eating. There are meals, however, that don't translate well. I also have things around (Cheerios, toast, bananas, etc.) that I can substitute.

There are times that you just need to smile and nod at your appointment and then go and do what you think is right. I would trust my doctor for medical things, but they are not trained well in nutrition or breastfeeding and the research is constantly changing.

I am saved right now in that my husband is a SAHD and he does all of the appointments.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

hi! there's a blw/bls thread on here that is nice to share ideas on. you should join in!

i agree with pp, esp about nodding along sometimes.

i approach it as bm is the source of nutrients and the solids are for exploration. my son loves to eat so we have done well with solids, but every baby is different. my son is 8 months old.

things went a little slowly in the beginning but he is getting really good at picking things up, i am so proud of him. plus he really enjoys it and it feels so right!

he really likes: french toast sticks, eggs, pancakes, broccoli, butternut swuash, sweet pot fries, pasta, pizza, meatballs, bananas, everything

tonight we are having ravioli and i am excited to see how it goes.

enjoy it mama

Nod and smile.

The advice on solids is all over the place. The AAP policy on breastfeeding says one thing, the policy on nutrition says another, and every pediatrician says something completely different. My pediatrician would say that up to 12 months, solids are just for fun, and for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills, and that breastmilk or formula alone meets all the baby's nutritional needs, and then she'd tell you to give some baby vitamins in a dropper.

I think the thing to do is to not stress and observe your baby. Is he healthy and growing well? If so, then you can relax and just keep on doing what you're doing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've also found the advice and literature so confusing. My pedi told me that by 9 months my baby should be having 3 meals and day and BFing about 5 times a day. I was a little taken aback with the "5 times a day"!

My LO is 7 months and I give her solids twice a day (I started slowly, a few times a week, and built up gradually). She LOVES her solids but she also LOVES her BM. I think she's just a little glutton. She hasn't really cut back on BFing since starting solids, but I give her very little (about 1 oz per meal). I try to choose foods that will add something to her nutrition and also expose her to new tastes. I also offer the breast before the solids so she fills up on milk and the rest is for fun.

I have to say, it's really adorable to see her open her little mouth wide, making sweet funny expressions as she tastes new flavors.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

takeing a cpr/1st aid class might help your hubby relax and know he would be able to help your child if they got into trouble breathing.

Thx everyone so much!
    Smile & nod I must continue. I did for the most part but I couldn't resist when she said "breastmilk shouldn't be his main source of nutrition". I had to reply to that one & quote AAP recommending that it should be until 12 months. Then she said, "well, ok, the main source of nutrition, but not the ONLY". Then I continued my nodding...because I never said "only."
    Anyhow, yes Mommal, he's healthy, happy & growing well. Which were the doctor's very next sentence...that he's growing well & developing well. He's in the 83rd percentile for both height & weight!

Andrea,
    We have taken one when I was pregnant but maybe we need to review or even take it again.