Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rules about heating/reheating breastmilk

Default Rules about heating/reheating breastmilk

I have to pump now that I'm back at work and baby is staying with daddy. Once a bottle has been defrosted I KNOW that I can't refreeze it but if it's been heated for 10 seconds and given to baby but she doesn't eat the whole bottle, can we put it in the refrigerator and give it to her at her next feeding 3 hours later? Or later that day? Can I reheat it again for 10 seconds at her next feeding??

Default Re: Rules about heating/reheating breast

I wouldn't. Frozen milk should only be heated once and used within 24 hours of thawing.

Reheating a partially used bottle of refrigerated milk is up for discussion. Some people will say don't do it, others will say it is fine. I am willing to reheat a partially used bottle of previously refrigerated milk once within a few hours of first use.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

Default Re: Rules about heating/reheating breast

I never heat it up in the first place And yes, I reuse breast milk if my baby doesn't finish a bottle for whatever reason. I don't toss.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!