Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yellow spit-up?

Default Yellow spit-up?

I just finished nursing my 3mo old DS, and as soon as he unlatched, he spit-up a decent amount of bright yellow spit-up. (Think mustardy colored poop) He is 100% breastfed, and does spit-up a lot, but never that color! He has since spit-up again, and this time it was normal- just milk-colored. He isn't sick and is acting completely normal- right now he's bouncing around and cooing in his bouncy seat- and it didn't seem to upset him when it came up. Has this happened to anyone? Should I call the doctor? It kind of freaked me out!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Default Re: Yellow spit-up?

are you sure it wasn't snot/phlegm?
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

I don't know, but I don't think so? It was bright, bright yellow, not just yellow-tinged like phlegm usually is. And he doesn't have a cold or anything...

If it were me I would call the doctor, yes, just to be on the safe side. My baby is spitty and I remember asking my doctor, when should I call? And he said, well, if the spit is a different color from white (among other things). At least for peace of mind, you could call...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Meh, I'd probably treat it as a variation of normal, as long as baby seems to feel okay and it doesn't happen again. But no harm in calling, if you feel freaked out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with Mommal. My DD had some of that and I thought maybe she swallowed something she shouldn't have. I mentioned it to the Dr. when we were there for a well visit and he wasn't worried about it at all. He might of said it could be some bile or something, I don't even remember. But he was not concerned at all. But if it kept happening and was a lot of yellow, I'd definately call.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

This might seem like a stupid question, but is it possible she had any solids in her stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Meh, I'd probably treat it as a variation of normal, as long as baby seems to feel okay and it doesn't happen again. But no harm in calling, if you feel freaked out.
    My baby girl did this when she was about 2 months old and I panicked. I called the on call doc and she told me that yellow was in the realm of normal. She kept asking me if there were any other symptoms like fever, coughing, snotty nose irritability etc and I told her no, it was just this bright yellow spit up. She wasn't concerned at all. But if you are nervous about, there is no harm in calling of coarse.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Thanks for all the responses! No, he didn't have any solids in his system. I did call the doctor just for peace of mind, and you were all right, she wasn't concerned at all. She said it was probably bile or stomach acids and that I shouldn't worry. All is well

Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby