Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Top teeth are rubbing, nothing works!

Default Top teeth are rubbing, nothing works!

Hi,
    Does anyone have any advice about my little girl and her newly acquired top teeth rubbing on my nipple.

I've read and got advice from breastfeeding people/La Leche and the advice just does not work. That advice is check positioning etc, use teething powders etc before feeding, try to widen her mouth using finger trace method ( she gets too upset so I can't) and try diff positions.

Obviously, none of this works and I'm currently suffering the worst of this situation (3 weeks or so now) as it's getting unbearable. I don't want to feed her tonight tbh.

She also bit me 4 times last night, and none of the advice about that helps either!

If anyone can help, please do. I'm trying to ring as many different organisations as poss.

Are nipple shields still not recomended because of the decrease of milk production?

Default Re: Top teeth are rubbing, nothing works

what worked for us is to use a more reclined position for mama. so i nursed her in a recliner that would let me lay back more and I would put her in cradle position. also side lying position worked as well. thats all i got! hope it helps

also curious how old is LO? what advice have you been given about biting?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks Christine, I might try those positions.
    She's also digging in with her thumb while feeding now, which has caused some little sores on both breasts.
    But only one bite tonight and seemed accidental!

She's 10 months on the 9th. Gosh that's flown! I'm just so pleased to still be breastfeeding as we had a horrendous start (severe pain/possible thrush/mastitis or neither or tongue tie-basically it took 2 months before the pain eased when we first started!), but since then it's been great and I'm more than chuffed I stuck at it.

The biting, the advice has been similar, but also to try and say 'no' gently and offer something to bite on, pulling her closer, being careful taking her off if she clamps down etc. All from 'The Breastfeeding Answer Book' via my infant feeding lady.

oh ok 10 months! so she's definitely old enough to learn not to bite you. That's the advice I've heard as well. I think too a good tip might be to gauge her other behaviors surrounding the bite...for example, is it when she's tired or when she's very awake. does she smile or laugh and do it? or does she do it when she's mad? or is it completely random (if so, ack sorry!). that way you can be prepared and on your guard for a possible bite situation. my girl would do it when she was feeling playful (little stinker) and or hyper. she would smile or laugh, kick her legs, that sort of thing. After a few times I would watch for that behavior so I could be ready with a finger to pop her off. or even I would delay the nursing session till that "mood" passed her, and I'd offer a cold teething ring or something like that. She was the kind of biter that would clamp and not let go , so my approach was holding her nose for a second or so (see link below) to get her to let go. i'd tell her no, then we'd end the session.

I think as with anything being consistent with your approach is key.

here is an excellent page which may have some approaches you can try:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

as for her thumb, would she go for a nursing necklace? trimming her nails as short as possible might help too.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Could you do something like a football hold or some other position where her teeth are in another spot than usual to at least give the irritated area a rest?

as for her thumb, would she go for a nursing necklace? trimming her nails as short as possible might help too.
    Great idea! My son scratches my chest..even with well trimmed nails it can be painful. I bought a nursing necklace from this website and it was a life saver!

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Hi all. Sorry I haven't been on to reply.
    I've been trying the rugby hold on both sides and that seems a little better. Her teething has really taken hold now (she's unbelievably off her food!!?)so I'll keep on with this for a while longer.
    I do have a teething necklace, (the scratching has no gotten much better) but tbh, she doesn't seem to respond well to things that are officially for teething. She doesn't really like her chilled teether either!

Thanks again all of you for your replies.